Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

I.D. help please

More
25 Jan 2011 16:38 #1 by andrewo (andrew)
Hi all; as you may know i set up my marine tank 2 months back; wasnt gonna get any corals yet but was offered 3 corals just down the road from me for almost next to nothing. So they are in my tank for a week now but i have trouble identifying their exact type and species.

I need some help with exact id if possible so i can place them accordingly and provide them optimum lighting and current. many thanks.

Coral 1

Coral 2

Coral 3

And while im at it; found this rock with something on it when i was moving things around; what is it? looks like polyps; just hoping its not aptasia!

Cheers guys; im off to do some googling now :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2011 20:44 #2 by sallad (dallas dallaghan)
Hi there
1# Haitian anemone
2# colt coral
3# DENDRONEPHTHYA and at the bottom you have sun coral both need to be fed on phytoplankton
4# yellow Palythoa polyps

More
25 Jan 2011 21:26 #3 by andrewo (andrew)
Thanks for help mate! Coral number 3 definitely making life difficult now as one prefers moderate lighting and the other low lighting; im trying to see if i can somehow 'detach' the sun coral and place it somewhere else :(

More
25 Jan 2011 21:44 #4 by sallad (dallas dallaghan)
hi,, you would probably be better not to try separate them as the DENDRONEPHTHYA is grown onto the sun coral,,
maybe if you get some reef glue and position them at the bottom of the tank with the DENDRONEPHTHYA shadowing the sun coral,, should be grand

More
25 Jan 2011 22:35 #5 by andrewo (andrew)
The Dende is growing on the sun coral?!?!? oh my goodness...didnt realise that...i shld well stay away from it then!:ohmy:

More
26 Jan 2011 00:37 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
The sun coral (Tubastrea faulkneri) will be ok in moderate light. It just dosent need the light some other corals need.

Each polyp feeds independently so you can feed them with a pipet on something like artemia.
There is a coral food they do really well on but i cant think of it off hand.
I will get back to you with the name of it.

More
26 Jan 2011 18:33 #7 by andrewo (andrew)
Thanks platty but the sun coral seems rly delicate; maybe they are only small still? i find them only open an hour after lights go off; a pity cause they rly look nice too when opened:(

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds