Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Good goldfish food

More
21 Jul 2012 15:14 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi

I guess I should have known that not all goldfish food is equal, but I have only just encountered the term "ash"

So 2 questions.

Will food with higher ash content produce more waste?

What is a good goldfish food? currently using aquarian as it is what LFS had.

Thanks
Dec

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2012 17:25 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Good goldfish food
A good quality pelleted food from our sponsors would more than likely do the Job.
Ash DOES lead to a higher level of waste material.

Kev.

More
21 Jul 2012 17:50 #3 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Thanks Kev I'll look for pellets

More
17 Aug 2012 18:57 #4 by DenisLT (Denis)
give them sometimes and frozen food as bloodworms or etc. Fish will love it, but not every day, like once a week will be fine

More
09 May 2016 19:08 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Resurrecting this old thread as there seem to be a few more coldwater fish keepers about and I'm finding the JBL gold pearls not great.

So advice on a good staple goldfish food would be welcome.

I feed frozen once a week and try to give peas or something once a week also.

Thx
Dec

More
09 May 2016 20:28 #6 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
I feed mine tetra goldfish pellets...they seem to like it
I boil a piece of cucumber without the skin and leave it in the tank for 2-3 days...my pleco and goldfish love it.... Good source of fibre
Peas r good for digestion
I feed spinach once a week...boiled...make sure not to feed too much spinach as it is bad

More
09 May 2016 21:45 #7 by robert (robert carter)
What size are your goldfish? And it sounds as though are in tank not a pond . All i can say is that i feed my pond fish mostly koi but a couple of goldfish , passion pellets ,they are 40% protein produce very little waste and the fish go crazy for them , size wise i feed a 3mm pellet that floats but they can be got in a smaller size . Buy them off ebay in 20kg bags

More
10 May 2016 09:56 #8 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
@robert

Goldfish are about 6" no tail in 260l tank. 20kg that may last longer than the fish :)

I'll look up that food

Thx
Dec

More
10 May 2016 16:08 #9 by robert (robert carter)
Point taked but you can get this in smaller quanities and with different size pellets. I go through 20kg in the koi pond each year , today is the first day i am feeding this to the pond seeing temperatures are only now getting up to over 12 deg

More
10 May 2016 17:57 #10 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Thx Robert I was messing about the 20kg. That is a lot of food, looking forward to pics of the koi. Very disappointed with the JBL food maybe it's a bit big but it is not good for digestion, even if I only feed it occasionally it causes loooong stringy poo.

As matter of interest how much sellers would you feed two 6" goldfish? I'm thinking I may be under feeding by trying not to over feed :crazy:

More
10 May 2016 18:42 #11 by robert (robert carter)
In a tank i would feed twice a day just the amount the fish will eat in a couple of minutes , this ensures no waste food hits the gravel causing polution problems. I use new life spectrum for my community tropical and find in great its expensive but you feed very little , i am nearly sure they do a coldwater food , might be worth checking out . SEAHORSE stock new life spectrum range .

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds