Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Whoops unhappy wife

More
17 Jun 2013 16:00 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Well have my first tank being emptied around the dinning room phone call from the wife today. I wonder does this have anything to with the fact that I cleaned the external (2217) at the weekend.

Well nearly time to go face the music and see what I have done. Just as well someone was home.

Any advice on dealing with the leak or more importantly the wife appreciated

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2013 16:08 #2 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Not much you can do but go and face the music and hope you are still aloud keep the tank once she has finish her ranting lol.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
17 Jun 2013 16:58 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Just don't go home :whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
17 Jun 2013 18:17 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Run for the Hills mate and dont look back, then wait till shes gone shopping run back collect the tank and run away with it, after a year she should have calmed down but return with lots of flowers, choc's, wine and shiny trinkets, and then pray

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
17 Jun 2013 18:19 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Never under estimate the power of flowers, so long as you don't over do it of course ;)

The new outlet hoses were not completely secured, my bad :( only a cm of water out of the vision 180.

So disaster averted could have been the end of the fish and possibly a for sale ad if there was no one home to catch it early.

More
17 Jun 2013 18:26 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
phew lucky one, a good idea is to have the input strainer and inch under the water level that way if there is another incident like this you will only lose 1 inches worth of water and not a tank full

More
17 Jun 2013 20:19 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
This is easy.

Step 1. Pamper the wife with apologies, flowers, diamond rings, and that you'll promise to dump the tank.

Step 2. Get yourself a Mistress and set up your fish tank at her place.

(ps.....the diamond ring is important as that will get her showing it to all her friends then she won't notice you "at the office" more often :))

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
17 Jun 2013 20:24 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

This is easy.

Step 1. Pamper the wife with apologies, flowers, diamond rings, and that you'll promise to dump the tank.

(ps.....the diamond ring is important as that will get her showing it to all her friends then she won't notice you "at the office" more often :))

Running away sounds cheaper!

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
17 Jun 2013 20:27 #9 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

This is easy.

Running away sounds cheaper!

Surely not.

You want your beef steak at home and the beef burger when out.

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
17 Jun 2013 20:27 #10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Well have my first tank being emptied around the dinning room phone call from the wife today. I wonder does this have anything to with the fact that I cleaned the external (2217) at the weekend.

Well nearly time to go face the music and see what I have done. Just as well someone was home.

Any advice on dealing with the leak or more importantly the wife appreciated

sorry to here about your tank emptied around the dinning room try ank keep positive this is a good time for the wife to give the tank a good clean and the dinning room just make sure to tell her to have the tank spotless and the dinner ready see how things go from there :whistle:

Something fishie going on here

More
17 Jun 2013 20:40 #11 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

phew lucky one, a good idea is to have the input strainer and inch under the water level that way if there is another incident like this you will only lose 1 inches worth of water and not a tank full

Sheag, could you explain more please? My input is a few inches off the bottom of the tank and the thought of a hose coming loose always freaks me out... Hundreds of litres of water all over the place would be a major problem, particularly living in an apartment!!!!! Wife aside!!!

I've been told that I could drill one or two,small holes about an inch below the water surface of the inflow pipe and if the water level dropped below this point it would air lock the filter and prevent any further spillage. Is this was you mean??? Anyone here do this?? Sorry for hijacking thread.

I'd hate this call and have thought about it many times...she'd go mad and would be just the excuse needed to get rid of my 'obsession' as she puts it - translation, gets my attention rather than her :)

B...

More
17 Jun 2013 22:00 #12 by murph (Tony Murphy)
Yes, Gonefishy, this is what was meant.

P.s. I think shoes or a handbag would work better, or so my female friends tell me. ;)

More
17 Jun 2013 22:04 #13 by davey_c (dave clarke)

Sheag, could you explain more please? My input is a few inches off the bottom of the tank and the thought of a hose coming loose always freaks me out... Hundreds of litres of water all over the place would be a major problem, particularly living in an apartment!!!!! Wife aside!!!

I've been told that I could drill one or two,small holes about an inch below the water surface of the inflow pipe and if the water level dropped below this point it would air lock the filter and prevent any further spillage. Is this was you mean??? Anyone here do this?? Sorry for hijacking thread.

I'd hate this call and have thought about it many times...she'd go mad and would be just the excuse needed to get rid of my 'obsession' as she puts it - translation, gets my attention rather than her :)

B...

Both the very same principle but i've also been told that by the filter drawing in air it could damage the filter much the same as running it dry. In saying that though I'm sure the possibility of needing to replace the filter could possibly be cheaper than the damage a couple of hundred litres on the floor could cause. Depending on where a tank is in a room even a few litres of a spill that went unnoticed could end up being an expensive repair if it was sitting on a nice wooden floor so there's more to it than drilling a coule of holes or where to put the strainer though

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
17 Jun 2013 22:33 - 17 Jun 2013 22:35 #14 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Davey explained it perfectly, cheers Davey but on the aspect of drawing air i've never found it to do that, yes running dry may damage it but its less pain than the wife damaging you or the tank

Last edit: 17 Jun 2013 22:35 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie).

More
17 Jun 2013 22:41 #15 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
No probs on the hijack in fact I would not even refer to it as such. It is a discussion forum and thankfully on this one my wife noticed the small amount of water before anything awful happened.

I have been thinking instead of risking killing an external filter which could be expensive and could leave your tank unfiltered it should be possible to rig up a moisture alarm to a relay to kill the power to the filter and possibly the heaters.

I haven't googled to see if such a device already exists but I would guess that it does.

Would be great peace of mind if leaving the house empty.

So the race is on who will be first to post a link to the thingamagiggy

In fairness to the Missus she secretly likes the fish just can't make it too obvious as that would not be conducive to keeping the obsession under control.

More
17 Jun 2013 23:35 #16 by davey_c (dave clarke)

Davey explained it perfectly, cheers Davey but on the aspect of drawing air i've never found it to do that, yes running dry may damage it but its less pain than the wife damaging you or the tank

No hassle pal and good to hear there is a positive side to the air sucking myth B) .... oh and no messin with the wife, she came with a non-return policy and the possibility of a trade in for a quiter model looks uncomfortably bleak :lol: :pinch:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
18 Jun 2013 20:34 #17 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

No hassle pal and good to hear there is a positive side to the air sucking myth B) .... oh and no messin with the wife, she came with a non-return policy and the possibility of a trade in for a quiter model looks uncomfortably bleak :lol: :pinch:

Hi Davey. So will one small hole or two do the trick? What size? I don't want to mess up my filter so triple checking before I pull out the drill..Q Comets post really reminded me to get on the case and be safe than sorry (or dead if the missus got a hold of me after emptying 400 litres of water on the wooden floor!!,)...

More
18 Jun 2013 21:11 #18 by davey_c (dave clarke)
I was told to drill 2 holes of 2mm at the same dept below the surface but on opposite zides of the pipe if ye understand that :silly:
The dept is 1" below the surface but what got me there is when ye do a w/c the water drops by over an inch so you will need to turn off your external before each time ye do a w/c or block the holes!! What I was thinking was... if ye didn't block the holes and dropped the water level to below them then wouldn't that let air into the inlet pipe through them holes, wouldn't that air be trapped in there once the tank was refilled?... well if thats true then that air bubble could end up in the cannister and make it irritatingly noisey :unsure:

If anyone thinks I have the wrong end of the stick I'd love to know :crazy:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
19 Jun 2013 06:22 - 19 Jun 2013 06:43 #19 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Whoops unhappy wife
I don't know where these are available from but there are cheap alarms available, usually for Bathrooms to notify if the Bath has overfilled, they are placed on the floor and are activated by the slightest amount if moisture, I am sure they would be good in this case too.
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000WMSTUO/ref=re.../184-1300997-9017002

Something like this?

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 19 Jun 2013 06:43 by Homer (Kevin).

More
19 Jun 2013 07:00 #20 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
I have been having a look around and did not see a ready to go system but it looks like a sensor for an auto top up and a relay would do the trick.

Any thoughts?

More
19 Jun 2013 12:21 #21 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Back-up a few posts, put the drill down.
Just raise the outlet to the filter higher up the tank so that if it does
start to leak, it will only empty to this height.
Then when doing a water change you can lower it down so it will still be working.
No worrying about holes you put in the tube.

More
19 Jun 2013 18:41 #22 by collywobbles (colm moans)
if i was in the same position id buy her a mop and put a bow on it and hope she sees the funny side sorry bout your tank

More
19 Jun 2013 19:16 #23 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
collywobbles are you an olympic sprinter, you'd need to be if you did that ;)

More
19 Jun 2013 19:18 #24 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)

if i was in the same position id buy her a mop and put a bow on it and hope she sees the funny side sorry bout your tank

Hmmm still single by any chance? If not then an e901 should do it or this post is going to your Missus :evil: :evil: :evil:

More
19 Jun 2013 20:07 #25 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

Back-up a few posts, put the drill down.
Just raise the outlet to the filter higher up the tank so that if it does
start to leak, it will only empty to this height.
Then when doing a water change you can lower it down so it will still be working.
No worrying about holes you put in the tube.

Hi Justin. You mean the inflow pipe? The one that takes water into the filter. If you were to raise the outflow pipe (pipe that delivers filtered water back into the tank) which is typically near the surface of the tank anyway,I can't see how this would work...just re read ur post, the 'outlet to the filter' so guessing that's what I'm calling the inflow pipe. On this, is there any down side to this being much higher in the tank? Thanks

More
19 Jun 2013 22:25 #26 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Replied by m4r10 (m4r10) on topic Whoops unhappy wife
Don't know if 2x2mm holes will be enough to make an external filter stop in time before the water level drops even further.
As for the noise from air bubbles in the filter, a gentle shake of the filter would get rid of them, but a water proof band aid could be used to block the holes during w/c if you remember to have one at hand before proceeding with the w/c.

I was told to drill 2 holes of 2mm at the same dept below the surface but on opposite zides of the pipe if ye understand that :silly:
The dept is 1" below the surface but what got me there is when ye do a w/c the water drops by over an inch so you will need to turn off your external before each time ye do a w/c or block the holes!! What I was thinking was... if ye didn't block the holes and dropped the water level to below them then wouldn't that let air into the inlet pipe through them holes, wouldn't that air be trapped in there once the tank was refilled?... well if thats true then that air bubble could end up in the cannister and make it irritatingly noisey :unsure:

If anyone thinks I have the wrong end of the stick I'd love to know :crazy:

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds