Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Stocking Suggestion 35L tank ........... Help !!

More
10 Mar 2014 17:16 #1 by DK1981 (Diarmuid Kelly)
Hello all

I have recently bought a beginners 35L tank.

I am a complete novice in terms of keeping fish.

I am currently trying to do a fishless cycle and will stock hopefully when all my water parameters are good ( zero ammonia, nitrite and low nitrate)

do you guys have any suggestions for type of fish and numbers to stock?

i have been reading on the internet and am getting very conflicting advice.

all help appreciated

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2014 20:16 #2 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Hi dude ,
you could say a few words bout yourself ,and what kind of setup you have there .
35 liters is not much so you will be left with a very few choices if it comes to stocking your tank .

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

More
10 Mar 2014 20:20 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Yea 35 litre kinda restricts your stock choice

But theres still a nice range possibilities

Shrimp
Guppies
tetra's
Minnos
Etc etc etc

Small fish but big personalities

More
11 Mar 2014 14:01 #4 by DK1981 (Diarmuid Kelly)
basically i realise now that my tank is really limiting, but because i have already spent the money etc i am hoping to make the best of it for a year or so and see then about getting a bigger tank

i ahve one of those Marina S35 tanks with a marina slim s15 filter included and a marina heater

i have about 1.5 inchs of gravel also and two small plants

i filled the tank, added dechlorintor and nutrafin cycle over 3 days and waited one week

i then have been dosage with kleen off for another week ( today is about day 15)

my ammonia clears now in 24 hours but my nitrites are off the charts

im hoping that over next week they might redcu etc also and then i was going to do a large water chnage and hopefully be ready for fish

i was hoping for advice on specific fish

from i can gather on the net i am looking for small, inactive community fish. possibly no more than 6-9 etc

More
11 Mar 2014 19:31 #5 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Try to buy a book called " back to nature, guide to nano aquaria" by kjell fohrman.
You will surprised by the kind of fishes who can be kept in a tank like yours.
I personnaly have 4 tanks ranging from 30L to 38L, 3 of those with shrimps and the fourth with pygmy corydoras and apistos. Believe me the corydoras pygmaus are everything but inactive community fishes.
Anthony

More
18 Mar 2014 09:53 #6 by DK1981 (Diarmuid Kelly)
ordered that book

many thanks for the recommendation.

my tank finally cycled at the weekend

i now have 4 endlers in it, 1 male and three females

was hoping to stock more in two weeks

anybody any suggestions about tank mates for endlers for a 35L tank ?

More
18 Mar 2014 10:12 #7 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
If you go onto seahorse aquariums website that will tell u everything you need to know about wat fish to get and wats suited it was very helpful for me when I started off pal

More
18 Mar 2014 22:26 #8 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
You will be over ran by endler fry.id remove the male if I was you.the females can still give fry up to a few months later as they can store sperm.i think all males and no female endlers can be nice.i did this previously.consider shrimp in the tank.also check some of the small rasboras species.I keep a bumblebee goby in the fluval edge but id not recommend him for a new person to it.they can be awkward to feed.
Add slowly as the tank will need to get used to the stocking bit by bit.ill reply with other option's next time im on ths laptop. ..phone takes ages to type!
Gavin

More
18 Mar 2014 22:49 #9 by luas (Lewis Johnston)
Agree with the above comment you will be swamped with endler fry and will find it nearly impossible to get rid of them unless its a sought an expensive sought after species.I would of went with a nice betta but maybe 35l is too small.You should get rid of the male endler.
luas

More
19 Mar 2014 17:42 #10 by paulv (paul vickers)
Just a word of caution. As your tank readings are good for only a few days be slow to add fish and keepfeeding to the minimum. Little steps over a month.

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2014 16:13 #11 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Stocking Suggestion 35L tank ........... Help !!
For a beginner id have to suggest a single betta for a 35L.... Or all male endlers.

Like the lads mentioned your going to be over run with fry so id try return those female endlers and stick with males or get a single betta..

There are other fish out there that would be suitable but most are a little more sensitive and can be pricey so not the best idea to start off with them.

I wouldnt add anything with a betta in a 35L... not enough territory. You could however add cherry shrimp with endlers... would make a nice tank.

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2014 16:17 #12 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Stocking Suggestion 35L tank ........... Help !!
Here is a 20L tank i setup a few years back with a single betta.....

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds