Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New or Secondhand

More
10 Mar 2014 22:49 #1 by Tiger Perch (Gearóid)
Hi there,

I'm new to this hobby and sold my second hand tank last year but looking to get back into it at some stage when I have house renovations completed.

My query is of a general nature is it better to purchase second hand equipment especially since one can normally get a far larger tank set up for the same €.

Or should one purchase new tanks filters etc. as they are likely to be reliable; will normally be covered by some kind of guarantee and are probably likely to last longer.

While I have read a lot on this subject opinions seem to vary dramatically.

In a perfect world of course we would all buy new but given that I have a fairly tight budget as I'm sure do many others, second hand despite it's potential faults can seem a tempting option

Do any of the more experienced fish keepers have any thoughts on this if so please enlighten me???

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2014 23:05 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
To be honest its a very personal decision for people!
Lets be honest, we all like the idea of a bargin or a good deal, but of we all decide just to buy second hand, we would soon run out of tanks!!! Someone has to buy new!! Itll keep our sponsors and suppliers in business and will keep newer tanks in circulation!

I know people who have never bought second hand, i also know people who have only ever bought second hand

If buying second hand, ask the seller to fill it up prior to you getting there (assuming its empty) that way you will both be assured there are no leaks!
This will safeguard you and the seller!

Last time i sold a tank (not to a member here) i insisted on filling it to show the buyer there wasnt any leaks
He rang me 2 weeks later shouting down the phone that i sold him a dud
Turned out he cracked the base in transport

More
10 Mar 2014 23:24 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)
I totally agree with hammie, selling 2nd hand does have its problems as does buying 2nd hand but its up to both parties to know exactly what their looking at. I have usually stuck with buying 2nd hand mostly from the forums and found sellers very honest and helpfull so I'd keep an eye on the for sale section if you were hoping to maximise within a budget. from tanks and filters I have yet to pick 1 up that hasn't lasted.
In saying that the likes of filters etc are prity reasonably priced in the shops these days imo so I'd consider a tank 1st.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
26 Mar 2014 22:27 #4 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Replied by Jim (Jim Lawlor) on topic New or Secondhand
I'd say buy your tanks & stands 2nd hand (there's not much to go wrong that you cant see).

maybe buy some filters, heaters & lights second hand as well - I've never had a bad experience - but be conscious that they don't come with warranties.

Also, buying new when it comes to the electrical equipment brings with it increased efficiency i.e. lower power usage - so they'll often pay off the difference within a short period of time

More
26 Mar 2014 23:31 #5 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic New or Secondhand
I think buying second hand is fine as long as everything is in good condition and it's not too old. I bought a second hand 500 litre tank and an fx5 four or five years ago and everything is still running fine.

Finding a trust worthy seller would be good as well.

More
27 Mar 2014 01:33 #6 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic New or Secondhand
I bought a 2nd hand tank from a shop. Everything was still set up when I looked at the tank in a dark room. Took the tank home and noticed there was a lot of scratches on the inside of the tank on all panels of the glass. I wouldn't have bought it if I had noticed this in the shop. Scratches are every fish keepers worse enemy! U will always notice it ha ha!

Rook back tank to shop so hopefully scratches can be buffed out. Will get refund if not happy with it.

So my point is inspect it thoroughly. I think from personal experience I would only buy new now. That's just my own opinion. Then there is the warranty too.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
27 Mar 2014 09:46 #7 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
I'll try to respond to this objectively, considering I'm currently trying to sell a second hand tank!

I think when it comes down to it it all depends on who you're buying from. You can buy new from a Shop and still have after-sales service issues if it's not a good shop. You can buy second hand from someone and have a great experience. Always check the equipment, no matter what, no matter who you're buying from. But after that it's about judgement of who the seller is, and if you can get any feedback (say from other people who've bought from them etc.) then that helps too. There's definitely savings to be made from second hand, and everyone's budget is tight these days...

J.

More
27 Mar 2014 10:03 #8 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic New or Secondhand

I'll try to respond to this objectively, considering I'm currently trying to sell a second hand tank!

I think when it comes down to it it all depends on who you're buying from. You can buy new from a Shop and still have after-sales service issues if it's not a good shop. You can buy second hand from someone and have a great experience. Always check the equipment, no matter what, no matter who you're buying from. But after that it's about judgement of who the seller is, and if you can get any feedback (say from other people who've bought from them etc.) then that helps too. There's definitely savings to be made from second hand, and everyone's budget is tight these days...

J.

Yeah totally agree with Jason.

More
27 Mar 2014 10:57 #9 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
Tanks, Stands, fish, etc etc I'd have no problem buying 2nd hand. However I did get caught out with a 2nd hand external filter, I came home one day to find my carpet soaked due to the rubber sealing ring failing, hence the water escaping from the filter. On the plus side I got some nice wooden flooring put in instead of the carpet :-)

More
27 Mar 2014 12:25 #10 by pappy (pappy)
Replied by pappy (pappy) on topic New or Secondhand
I just bought a 2nd hand Rio 240 and was very excited to put it on without cleaning and disinfecting it.Now my 4 little clownloaches are suffering from whitespots disease and I have to dose salt on it...hope it works.

More
02 Apr 2014 19:44 #11 by rudycat (gareth)
Replied by rudycat (gareth) on topic New or Secondhand
Think that buying a second tank, esp if a bigger one is the way to go. They are so expensive new, I picked up my 180 rio for 75 euro and it was only 1 year old with no scratches - that was over a year ago and all fine. Even the notoriously dodgy lighting unit!

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds