Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Help my tank is damp due to condensation!

More
12 Oct 2014 15:35 #1 by Finn (keelan)
Hey all! so recently i noticed my wooden stand for my aquarium was damp underneath and everytime i lifted the hood of the aquarium it was damp and so was the light fixture. So i read up and found out it was condensation an that i should move the airstone since mine was near the glass so i moved it but still same problem. I then left the hood slightly open to let some air in which showed a little improvement but nothing the best :/ what i am worried about is that it will eventually weaken my stand and the whole thing will crash which i dont want! So any ideas how to stop the condensation from making my tank damp? Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2014 19:24 #2 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Are you sure its not leaking?
If you think its condensation then you could put a cloth( or strips of cloth)
Between the glass and hood.
If it is condensation it will be on the glass too ie the glass will be wet.

More
12 Oct 2014 20:36 - 12 Oct 2014 20:37 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Are you sure there is no small split in the joins at the bottom that water could be getting ouut ? I get a lot on condensation on the hood and lights of my tank but none makes it way down to the stand

Eric
Last edit: 12 Oct 2014 20:37 by Eric (Eric Corcoran).

More
12 Oct 2014 22:50 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
It is normal to get condensation inside the hood of an aquarium. It is just water gathering from evaporation.
But it is not normal to have moisture in a stand or cabinet.

there are a couple of things you can check to see if the water from the hood is making it's way to the stand.

1 Get some kitchen towel and wipe it up each of the corners of the tank were the silicone is.
Check to see if the towel is slightly wet after each corner. If it is wet on one of the corners then it is either water weeping from a small hole in the silicone or it is escaping from the hood down the corner and on to the stand.

2 If there is no sign of water from the corners then with the kitchen towel again wipe across the glass horizontally. The front, then the sides and the back. Checking each time for water on the towel.
Sometimes you can get a small trickle of water weeping from the hood down to the base wetting the stand.

3 If there is still no signs of water run the paper towel around the silicone bead at the base of the tank.

4 Still no water on the towel. Pressing firmly, slowly wipe the towel between the tank and the stand.
If you get water on the towel here I would repeat all the steps again just to confirm it is not just making it's way from the hood. Even wiping between the hood and the glass.

5 The last place I can think of is the water coming from a crack in the base of the tank. Not a good thing.

Let us know how you got on. Hopefully it is just coming from the hood.

More
13 Oct 2014 11:43 #5 by davey_c (dave clarke)
I was under the same impression as platty and you could use condensation trays to help the problem or install fans for air movement above the water level and to aid air exchange.
If there is enough condensation in your hood it would be dripping down the tank and into the stand but 1stly make sure your tank hasn't sprung a leak ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds