Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

All going great & then.............

More
17 Dec 2014 19:42 #1 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
All was going great in my 120 litre Jewel until I noticed the filter was not working :ohmy:

I have 9 Rummy Nose Tetra, 7 Cardinals, 2 Fire fox Gourami & 1 Powder Blue Dwarf. I was expecting to lose a few starting off but nope they are all thriving.

I rang a certain pet shop looking for help & they told me to come up & they would give me a motor for the filter pump. Unfortunately it was the wrong size & the petshop lost some of the parts on me. I asked what I should do now & they shrugged their shoulders at me :(

In a bit of a panic I just brought a new eheim filter in a different shop & have that running several days. Will my bacteria be all gone now? I have tested the water & no ammonia is present. I did put in amnilock just in case.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2014 19:52 #2 by JohnH (John)
You might just have escaped a desperate situation.
You see, not all bacteria is living in the filter - it's everywhere, even on the fish!

Maintain a watching brief as far as the parameters are concerned and feed very little for a few days - just to be on the safe side.

Do a small 5-10% water change each day and - hopefully - the new filter will quickly become populated with the bacteria as needed.

Please keep us informed as to the progress.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
17 Dec 2014 19:59 #3 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Thank you! I'm so glad I had brought the test kits. Terribly disappointed with the pet shop.

As the tank is 120 litres, can I get any more fish at some point? The kids want a few guppies!

Also do you experts normally keep spare equipment such as heaters etc in case of such emergencies?

I normally feed the fish every second day.

More
17 Dec 2014 20:35 #4 by JohnH (John)
A spare heater is never a bad thing to have - just as long as you remember to put it somewhere safe - out of the way of little hands.

A net is never a bad thing to keep spare but much else is really not essential. You already have the most importand 'extra in my opinion - the test kit.

You could, once this period of 'panic' has settled get a few more fish - the important thing to remember is that you shouldn't add too many at one time - more fish equals more 'poo' which will add to your ammonia levels until the biosystem can adjust to the extra waste you need to keep an eye on levels. After a qhile it all becomes rather 'second-nature' but it does take a little while to come to terms with all you hasve to learn/watch out for.

It sounds as though you'll be giving your original shop a wide berth in future?

John

ITFS member.

More
17 Dec 2014 20:42 #5 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
If it ever happens again that you get a new filter just put the media from the old filter into the new one and all will be good then without any panic

Eric

More
17 Dec 2014 20:42 - 17 Dec 2014 20:45 #6 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
What I did was get a few fish every few weeks & that seems to have worked out well.

I do have a net.

I also have a small cold water tank with Mountain Clouds. However every so often one gets very very skinny & dies so I am keeping their stuff well separate.

Will the guppies be ok with my current fish. The Rummy Nose Tetra's are very lively & I have seen them take an odd nip at the gourami!!

Edited to add I wonder if the shop was hoping my fish would die so I would have to buy more? I used to buy a lot of stuff in that shop as I have several dogs & Guinea pig also.
Last edit: 17 Dec 2014 20:45 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.).

More
17 Dec 2014 20:59 - 17 Dec 2014 21:11 #7 by JohnH (John)
Sorry, I rather misread part of your original question and that you were asking would there be sufficient space for some Guppies.

I, personally, havent found Rummy-noses to be the worst of the Tetras for fin nipping and it's hard to lay down hard and fast advice since there can be so many variables in fishes' behaviour.
Perhaps some other members can step in here with personal observations of these fish and how they have behaved together in their tanks?

John

Return edit:
I do think you might be slightly over-reacting in wondering what you have written here - after all, they did originally offer to fix your original pump...Tell me, was it a pump which was supplied by them as new withy the Juwel? If it was it will be still under warranty, I would have thought. If this is the case you might be able to get reimbursed or at least the pump repaired/replaced by Juwel.

edit II White Clouds - while often sold as Coldwater fish are really only suited to living at room temperature at best. Is your little tank keeping warm enough? Also, they really like a faster flow-rate coming as they do from mountain streams. It might be worth trying to re-position that tank to a warmer part of the room?

ITFS member.

Last edit: 17 Dec 2014 21:11 by JohnH (John). Reason: Additions.

More
17 Dec 2014 21:59 #8 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
No the setup was not new. It was out of use for a while when I got it. The petshop sold me a model for a 100 litre tank & told me that would do. I was to attach the older parts of the original pump onto it but they lost them so it would not fit properly.

The minnows are in a warm room. 37 litre tank. For some reason some of them just fade. Brought in the same petshop. I noticed their stock in the shop have a few faders too. I moved these minnows from my old house to the new house. The water is fairly fast moving.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds