Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

55L Tank

More
06 Sep 2015 22:12 - 06 Sep 2015 22:36 #1 by Grantie86 (Ian Grant)
Hi Guys,

I'm setting up my 55L tank this week and wanted to get some stocking advice, the tank dimensions are 40x40x40

I was thinking about getting:

3 x Platy
6 x Silver tip tetra

Would I be overstocking?
Last edit: 06 Sep 2015 22:36 by Grantie86 (Ian Grant).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2015 04:43 - 07 Sep 2015 04:48 #2 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Replied by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered) on topic 55L Tank
Thats fine!...You could probably add a few more smaller fish (ottos, corries etc etc) There are so many to choose from!

I would do 6 Platties as well as 6 Silvertips...Platties like to be kept in groups, 3 is probably not enough....

Also keep either all male or all female Platties or else 1 male to 2 females....The boys pester the girls (to the point of exhaustion) and they breed like crazy because they are livebearers!

You could aswell add a smaller showfish like a Dwarf Cichlid etc....Just nothing that grows too big! (Bolivian Ram, Any of the Apistogrammas....Maybe a Dwarf Gourami even)

Just remember to keep up with your weekly water changes..I recommend 30 to 50% once a week...Your fish will love you for it and it will help keep dreaded algae at bay!

By the way if your new to fish keeping and not familiar with it I would suggest you read up on the "AQUARIUM NITROGEN CYCLE" before adding any fish to a brand new tank...Otherwise you will wake up to a tank full of floating fish after a couple of days of setting up your beautiful new aquarium!!!!!
Last edit: 07 Sep 2015 04:48 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
07 Sep 2015 06:45 #3 by Grantie86 (Ian Grant)
Replied by Grantie86 (Ian Grant) on topic 55L Tank
Thanks a million, yeh I'm new to this but I've done a good bit of research so know all about cycling the tank.

Happy to hear I can add a showfish, it's something I was hoping someone would say.

I might add a Dwarf Gourami like you suggested

More
07 Sep 2015 09:49 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
The gourami is fine but probably wont add much in terms of interest....defo have a look at the dwarf cichlids and research them,they have much mote character than the gouramis...a pair of rams would be nice.Some dwarf corys also could be very interesting for the tank.. Just stock it slowly and keep in mind the size of the tank when doing so.

Gavin

More
07 Sep 2015 14:33 #5 by Grantie86 (Ian Grant)
Would this be too much?

6 silver tip tetra
4 platy
6 Albino cory
1 rainbow gourami

The AqAdvisor calculator says i'd be stocking it at 138% (although I've seen people say this isn't always accurate)
If I dropped the gourami I'd be at 107%

More
08 Sep 2015 04:32 #6 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Replied by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered) on topic 55L Tank
Online calculators arent a great source for stocking advice...
Your stocking plan is fine but i would still do 6 Platties...They need company and it spreads out any kind of aggression there may be...

More
08 Sep 2015 09:59 #7 by Grantie86 (Ian Grant)
Ok great, thanks for all the help

More
08 Sep 2015 17:39 #8 by ThirstyOto (Dan Hodgkin)
Replied by ThirstyOto (Dan Hodgkin) on topic 55L Tank

Online calculators arent a great source for stocking advice...
Your stocking plan is fine but i would still do 6 Platties...They need company and it spreads out any kind of aggression there may be...

+1 on the Platties - they really do well in groups, as Gunnered72 says. I would also make sure that what you are getting really are platties, too, I recently bought a group of platties from a local stockist, three of which then grew up into Swordtails! Beautiful fish, like the platties are, but they would soon grow way too big for your tank. When they are juveniles, they look very similar, and can get mixed up in a job lot of platties at the shop. I wouldn't say it's a common occurrance, but I know it can happen. Check with the staff when you buy them!

Gavin, above, also suggested a pair of Rams. He knows his stuff, and I would wholeheartedly echo that suggestion, if you're looking for a pair of "showfish". A nice male/female pair would be a stunning addition to your tank, once the cycling has settled. . I put a pair of rams into my new tank, and I have utterly fallen in love with them! Beautiful, colorful and characterful.

Whatever you decide - best of luck with your new tank!

More
08 Sep 2015 22:09 #9 by Grantie86 (Ian Grant)
Agreed, the rams look very cool.

Taking this all into account im now thinking:

6 Platy
6 Albino Cory
2 Rams

More
15 Sep 2015 19:33 #10 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Replied by JustinK (Justin Kelly) on topic 55L Tank
Only get 3 platies, you can breed the rest or avoid them altogether, though if your only starting maybe just get them until your more familar with things.
Don't put all those fish in at once.
Your definitely overstocked with that list.
You need to have your final plan, what your aiming to have when complete and slowly add the fish over weeks or months until your there.
If you feel like doing something with your tank just use the T-rule. That is put on the kettle and make a cuppa ☺

More
17 Sep 2015 14:04 #11 by CG (K Lynch)
Replied by CG (K Lynch) on topic 55L Tank
+2 on the Platy's.

I started a few weeks ago with 3 female platy's and one male.
I returned the male today. -I already have 3 fry in a hatchery and the 3 females are pregnant!
If you don't want to be overrun with fry, get females or better yet males (females can hold sperm for up to 6 pregnancies).

Good luck.

More
18 Sep 2015 10:02 #12 by Grantie86 (Ian Grant)
I'm cycling the tank at the moment and plan to start with Platy when it's ready, I've read they're a good option to get things started

Definitely going to ask for males as I won't have the setup for fry

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds