Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

platy's at top of water

More
11 Sep 2015 16:19 #1 by CG (K Lynch)
Hi,

Any help much appreciated.
My five platy's are gasping for air at the top of the water.
I've tried everything.
My ammonia is 0
nitrite 0
nitrates 10

100 LITRE tank.
I'm 4 weeks into a cycle. Never had an issue.
I thought it was water hardness but the guy at the LFS said that my two filters would be enough.

A female gave birth to fry this morning and they are in the hatchery - they seem to be doing better than the parents.

I've done several water changes.
The temperature was at 27 degrees - I turned down the heater and ran my filters over the water to break the surface but nothing is working.

I bought two plates from the LFS on Wed. One died this morning - I think from stress (she didn't settle from the start).

The other was doing fine but I'm wondering if it's something linked with that?
I checked her for disease but she seemed ok.

I have a nano tank. would you recommend transferring?

any help appreciated...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2015 16:36 #2 by JohnH (John)
My first thought was that all the first fry which disappeared had actually died and their corpses were polluting the water, but your readings show this isn't the case (water not polluted).
Filtration would have little or no effect on water hardness - but, anyway, Platies actually come from moderately high pH and hard water in the wild.

It does sound like a water issue though. I think it might be good to move all the fish, but am a little concerned that a nano tank mightn't be the best option, although if that's all you have then that will have to do.

You also might want to think about adding some salt (preferably not table salt) at a volume of approximately one teaspoon per gallon. But I should do this over a period of an hour or so, rather than all at once.

I hope you can solve the problem quickly - keep us informed as to progress.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
11 Sep 2015 16:43 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
What test kit are you using ?

If your readings are correct then you're finished cycling the tank. But if you're saying your still into the cycle then the readings must be wrong.

Eric

More
11 Sep 2015 16:57 #4 by CG (K Lynch)
I'm using a JBl master kit.

I did more readings.
ph : 7 (yesterday it was 6.5)
could this be it?

thanks guys for your quick response.
I did some water changes this morning because I was concerned about the nervous fish.
I used de-chlorinater/de -chloramine
Ammonia is well in the green area
nitrites : I just did a second test
they have spiked in the last few hours to 1.0

how much of a water change would you recommend?

More
11 Sep 2015 17:07 #5 by JohnH (John)
When you say nitrites have spiked, do you mean they have peaked at that, or could they be still rising?
It's always difficult to quote hard and fast advice on water-change quantity - too much and you risk the whole lot starting over again, too little and you have little effect.
I generally like to try to keep to a 25% of water volume level, perhaps others can say what their optimum change levels are?

John

ITFS member.

More
11 Sep 2015 17:15 #6 by CG (K Lynch)
they could still be rising. I don't know.

I read online and from you to do a 25% water change so I'll start with that.

Thank you

More
11 Sep 2015 18:08 #7 by CG (K Lynch)
for some reason my messages don't seem to be getting through.

the platy's are doing better, though one is hiding and looks stressed.

I'm wondering if over-filtering is the issue?

I'm using a fluvial 1,000 lph and I was seeding a 200lph filter (which I have now taken out).
I fed them frozen bloodworms as a treat yesterday and they didn't take them.
I scooped some out but not all.
could it be that?

The is my first time having fish and I'm learning

More
11 Sep 2015 20:03 #8 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Overfeeding
Overstocking
Overzealous filter cleaning
Dead fish in the tank

These are the main reasons for mini cycles...which is what i think happened here...

If you are reading Ammonia or NitrItes at any level it is dangerous to the fish and daily water changes of at least 50% are required until the levels read zero again....

More
11 Sep 2015 21:35 #9 by CG (K Lynch)
i've done many water changes.

anyone know if ammonia remover will temper nitrites ?

More
11 Sep 2015 21:50 #10 by Mike53 (Michael)
Sounds like the tank hasnt cycled yet, i would keep doing partial water changes every other day until the fish seem happier.

More
11 Sep 2015 22:15 #11 by alan 64 (alan)
Stop feeding and do say 30% a day for a few days and see how they go and make sure the water you are replacing is roughly the same temperature

More
12 Sep 2015 08:15 #12 by CG (K Lynch)
I put in an ammonia bag last night, to be safe. I did a couple of changes during the night and one this morning.

My five platy's are definitely doing better.
I think it was uneaten bloodworms/overfeeding.

I fed very little this morning and the same with the fry in the hatchery.
They're whizzing around which is heartening.

Thanks for the messages, guys.

More
12 Sep 2015 18:19 #13 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
A 25% water change per day or second day is what you should be doing to try stabilise what's happening.
Don't do water changes during the night and again in the morning, its too disruptive to the water parameters, bacteria,filters which all makes it worse for the fish.
Set your temperature at approx 25-26cc.
Keep the filter near the surface to agitate the water.
Keep the filter or filters in the tank and don't be taking them out or cleaning them yet.
The bloodworm aren't suitable for the platies, you might get away with the tiniest portion of micro bloodworm but there be too much in one of the blisters from the pack.
Don't add anything else to your tank for at least Another for weeks.
See how things are going then.

More
12 Sep 2015 18:32 #14 by CG (K Lynch)
I appreciate your response.
I Definitely won't adding more fish.
I did several water changes and got the nitrites down to .5 which is still above.
I've been reading so many conflicting opinions. I just don't want them to be in distress or worse.
I have the filter agitating the surface tension.
The temp is 25 c.

I hear what you're saying about it being too disruptive. I'm just worried that they'll die from nitrite poisoning.

More
13 Sep 2015 08:15 #15 by paulv (paul vickers)
Do you have any air pumping into the tank?, if fish gasp at the surface usually means lack of oxygen in the water. The bacteria in your tank and filter need high level of oxygen to live. Also the more you clean the filter the more food you remove the less there is for the aerobic bacteria to grow. Get a small air pump and stone, feed good quality flake food every second day, just one tiny pinch, do 25% water change weekly and leave the filter alone for at least three months, use bacteria in a bottle now to help seed the filter. The spike in nitrites could have already damaged the fish gills, if some don't make it, don't replace them for a few weeks and then try to get fish same size so as to reduce stress. Platys are tough little fish they should be fine. Rise in ph could be lack of buffering agents in the water, try coral sand.

More
13 Sep 2015 11:20 #16 by CG (K Lynch)
I have a pretty strong filter - 1,000 litres per hour (for approx 100-110 litre tank).
I have a baffler that's creating surface tension.
I haven't cleaned it since I started over a month ago - I did run it through the water lightly but nothing more.
There's a fair bit of media in there.

My platy's are more sprightly today and I haven't noticed any damage. (thankfully)

My latest tests:
ammonia - less than .25
nitrite .1
nitrate about 3
ph is back to normal - around 6.5

Glad to see the things looking better. I won't be feeding them bloodworms again nor anything but fish flakes until I'm fairly sure it's cycled.

More
13 Sep 2015 13:56 #17 by JohnH (John)
Please bear in mind that a handful of Platies plus fry will actually eat very little so offer flake food accordingly. If they start mouthing the food and ejecting it then this means they've had enough.
I know this is going to sound a bit 'wrong', but are you certain you are the only person feeding them?

A rule of thumb is too little (food) is far better than even a little too much.
(Sounds a bit corny, I know, but it's a very valid rule nevertheless).

John

ITFS member.

More
13 Sep 2015 15:58 #18 by CG (K Lynch)
Thanks, John.

I'm certain that i'm the only one feeding them.
I appreciate your point and will feed them less.

K

More
13 Sep 2015 20:56 #19 by paulv (paul vickers)
A couple of things worries me about your tank, ammonia readings at .25 and nitrite at 1 means the filter is still maturing. Don't worry too much about the nitrates being at 3 that's afine reading. It's much more important for the ph to stay stable not fluctuatimg like yours, platy are happy in ph range 6 to 8. I suggest you use bacteria in a bottle to help the filter grow a big aerobic bacteria colony and add coral sand to act as a ph buffer. Maybe feed a little bit every day so the fish produce waste to feed your filter.

More
14 Sep 2015 01:27 #20 by alan 64 (alan)
Just don't stress too much on this the older the tank gets the better things will get one thing as I think john has mentioned which I realy agree with is feeding less is better than more these fish can realy survive on very little food even my discus I feed them about as much as they can eat in 30 seconds twice a day, if u read on the food ur feeding it probably says in 5 mins don't do that

More
14 Sep 2015 19:57 #21 by CG (K Lynch)
the ph is stable at around 6.5. when i had a nitrite spike (i think because of the response to the decay from bloodworms), it went up to 7.0.
i have sand as a substrate and coral rock in there.
i'll be feeding them less *thumbsup*

More
14 Sep 2015 19:58 #22 by CG (K Lynch)
that's a good suggestion.
thank you.

More
15 Sep 2015 03:30 #23 by paulv (paul vickers)
Good to know your tank is back to normal again.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds