Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Leak

More
22 Nov 2015 17:10 #1 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Leak was created by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
My 120 Litre Jewel has a leak somewhere. There is water just under the base of each end. Only a small amount right now. Does not seem to be affecting water level just yet.

Cannot tell where the water is coming from. Could there be a crack in the base? Unfortunately with 2 young kids on top of Christmas I can't replace the tank right now. Is rehoming my fish asap the best option & starting over after Christmas? How long could I leave the tank like this for? Is there a danger the leak could become much bigger?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2015 19:46 #2 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Replied by Jim (Jim Lawlor) on topic Leak
first check everywhere else for a source of water - sometimes it can be condensation or spray or capillary action of water creeping up the inside of the tank and getting out through a leak in the trim or lid. I use kitchen paper or similar to dry everything off and then see where gets wet first. If you can get someting absorbent like that close to the ends of the tank, it should soak up water even from underneath.

If you've a crack in the base or below the waterline i'd move the fish and empty it before it gets worse - the last thing you want is to come home and find the whole tanks has collapsed all over the floor - its not worth the risk .

More
22 Nov 2015 20:02 #3 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Replied by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.) on topic Leak
I have tried looking all over & wiping it down. I just can't find where the water is coming from. There is just a small amount beside the bottom front corners.

I have nowhere to put the fish unfortunately so my only option may be to give them all away tomorrow & emptying the tank. I do have a small 37 litre tank but I'm pretty sure I have too many to fit in there.

More
22 Nov 2015 20:58 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Leak
Would it be possible for anyone here to 'mind' these fish for Goldilocks until she gets her tank fixed?

Unfortunately I'm indisposed at the moment so wouldn't be able to collect them otherwise I would be more than happy to help.

Any offers (please)?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
22 Nov 2015 21:17 - 22 Nov 2015 21:32 #5 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)

Would it be possible for anyone here to 'mind' these fish for Goldilocks until she gets her tank fixed?

Unfortunately I'm indisposed at the moment so wouldn't be able to collect them otherwise I would be more than happy to help.

Any offers (please)?

John

Even if someone wanted to have them & give them a great forever home. After Christmas I could save for a new tank & start over. There is about 7 Flame Tetra, 3 Platy, 1 Swordtail Female, lots of Guppy Fry with nice colours & 4 Bronze Corydora. I have put the fish up on adverts. I am very sad about this but the last thing I need is a major kitchen flood.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2015 21:32 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.).

More
22 Nov 2015 21:44 #6 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic Leak
I'll mind them for you IF you can drop them to my place in Gowran. Co. Kilkenny

Eric

More
22 Nov 2015 21:46 #7 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Ah thanks Eric. It is just too far. I am in Dublin 15 but thank you for your kind offer.

More
22 Nov 2015 22:10 #8 by JohnH (John)
You really do not have to buy a new tank - unless, of course you want a new one.
Forum member Bart (Rainbow Aquatics) can dismantle and rebuild your tank for less than you would have to pay for a replacement one.

He is very reasonable with his prices and would do a first-class job. I have seen his work and can fully vouch for it.

I can get you his mobile number if you'd like it?

John

ITFS member.

More
22 Nov 2015 22:13 #9 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Thanks that would be great. Where would I put all the fish. I would be worried about my little daughter ( disabled) interfering with them in buckets.

More
22 Nov 2015 22:16 #10 by JohnH (John)
I've sent you Bart's number by PM.
He might be able to help with the fish too.

John

ITFS member.

More
22 Nov 2015 22:36 #11 by JohnH (John)
I'm just thinking (careful) that if you bought the tank from new you should still be within the warranty period. I'm not sure how long Juwel guarantee their tanks for - maybe someone knows?

John

ITFS member.

More
22 Nov 2015 22:43 #12 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
It was not new! I have it 1 year now & it was a few years old. If I do get a new tank I woud buy a different brand as it was this tank I had trouble with when the filter broke & could not get the parts.

It has been a year of a lot of learning & mistakes but in the last 8/9 mths I had got the hang of things! The fish are also very very tame! You cannot go into the kitchen without them all following you about!

More
22 Nov 2015 23:10 #13 by JohnH (John)
That's a shame.
I'm just wondering if the water you are seeing isn't actually condensation building up under the tank hood then dripping down the glass? As you say, the water level hasn't appreciably dropped so it migh be something like that. I once had a tank which I thought was leaking but it was actually just one of the filter spray-bar outlets had become slightly blocked and was causing a small amount of water to hit the hood then drip down the side - giving the appearance of a leak.

Just a couple of thoughts.

John

ITFS member.

More
22 Nov 2015 23:16 #14 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
I was thinking something like that. I used kitchen paper to wipe around the tank & no sign of anything. I checked the rubber side pieces too & nothing. Filters (2) seem fine too.

There is a small amount of wet at both front corners & a tiny film of water along the front bottom line of the tank. There was a few drops under the stand but nothing now. The stand was hand made for the tank & the guy checked it was level.

I just can't find where it could be coming from & that is why I m worried it is the base. The tank is 3 foot long

More
22 Nov 2015 23:24 - 22 Nov 2015 23:30 #15 by JohnH (John)
I honestly think that, if the tank base was cracked there would be appreciably more water than you have described.
Would it be possible to lift the hood to see if it is wet inside*?
*Inside the hood, that is.

Do you have a condensation tray?

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 22 Nov 2015 23:30 by JohnH (John). Reason: addition

More
22 Nov 2015 23:31 #16 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
There is wet inside the hood! I don't have a tray! There is no water running down the sides or front. There is a barely noticeable drop in the tank level but that is after several hours.

Thanks that does make me feel better

More
22 Nov 2015 23:36 #17 by JohnH (John)
When funds permit a condensation tray would be a good investment - it not only helps save water losses but also does help keep (some of) the dampness away from the lighting electricity (never a bad thing).

John

ITFS member.

More
22 Nov 2015 23:40 #18 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Yes I can do that! I presume they are easy to fit, get in the correct size?

More
22 Nov 2015 23:44 #19 by JohnH (John)
Yes, they sit on top of the lateral strengthening bars and a 3ft one would be a 'stock' size.

John

ITFS member.

More
23 Nov 2015 03:41 #20 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Leak
I have a big thank with not much in it i could take them off u where are u located

More
23 Nov 2015 07:31 #21 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)

I have a big thank with not much in it i could take them off u where are u located

Thank you very much for your kind offer. I think I have the issue sorted now!

More
23 Nov 2015 09:09 #22 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic Leak

Ah thanks Eric. It is just too far. I am in Dublin 15 but thank you for your kind offer.

No worries at all. Glad you got it sorted

Eric

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds