Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pond questions

More
06 Jan 2016 00:26 - 06 Jan 2016 00:26 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
So it has been hanging around the back of my mind for a while and there has been recent posts about ponds so I thought I would ask.

Are there design options that would prevent my cats from having a fishy snack?

How deep should it be? I think I saw somewhere that it should be more than 1m to prevent herons from eating your fish?

Is getting electricity to the pump/filter troublesome?

What is the rough cost of building a pond of about 1000L?

Do you think there is type of container that could be used for a raised pond that could be used without the fish becoming cat/bird food?

Or lastly any links to good pond building websites?

Thx
Dec
Last edit: 06 Jan 2016 00:26 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2016 18:57 #2 by robert (robert carter)
hi Dec ,just to reply to your post , my first pond 1997 was built by knocking down my side wall jcb in to dig out pond two truck loads of soil removed. I then shuttered the pond up and backfilled with 16 ton readymix concrete and put in liner and presto pond built capacity 5000 gals 5 feet deep . that pond had to go with the arrival of grandchildren . new build present pond approx. 1000 gals raised mostly above ground 3ft deep, using 4 inch solid blocks and linned with liner ,filteration is a 3 bay filter with 35 watt uv pump is 8000 ltre per hour ,also run a pump for a fountain just to help oxegenate the water . COST . present build appox 1000 euro all labour my own . CAT , I don't have any shelves just straight down to full depth so very hard for a cat to get any thing out of the pond , I also have made covers for the pond these are just frames covered with a plastic netting ,made three so its makes it easy to remove each section . These are primaliy as heron defence a lot of herons around now . ELECTRICS . this is the only job that I used a professional ,who ran a cable right back to the fuse board serparate rcb used . in the garden I have a waterproof switch box that controls pumps uv heater and lights . trust this is a help to you ,any more question just ask and I will try to help ,while I have installed 4 ponds in my 30 years of koi keeping I don't confess to know it all bert . ro

More
06 Jan 2016 22:21 #3 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Thx Robert, I think I have decided where I would like to put the pond. My DIY skills are not up to much but I can use a shovel :laugh:

More
06 Jan 2016 22:31 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Good luck with it ,keep us posted on the progress , one thing with all this rain you won't have a problem filling it . If I can be of any further help just shout

More
06 Jan 2016 22:46 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
I'll keep you posted but don't hold your breath gonna be a slow burner

More
06 Jan 2016 23:00 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'm no pond builder, but I'm pretty sure burning it isn't a great help :whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
07 Jan 2016 09:06 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Ha Ha Ha :silly:

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds