Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

cleaning hose

More
01 Feb 2016 21:54 #1 by robert (robert carter)
Hi all ,tomorrow is my maintainable night on my 350 the flow on one of my externals seems a bit down ,looking at the hoses both flow and return they look manky to say the least only been running 5 months , 1. How do you clean them , 2.how often should you clean them.don't really want the expense or replacing them after such a short period . Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2016 22:20 #2 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
I would really doubt the flow problem is due to a hose....

You may just need to clean out all the filter media from the build up of gunk...(Including biological media) Just be careful and dont overclean....A rinse and squeeze in tank water is all that is required...

If you really wanna clean out your hoses (im assuming they are transparent) fill them will bleach diluted in hot water and let them soak for a couple of hours....Afterwards rinse thoroughly in warm dechlorinated water

More
01 Feb 2016 23:01 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
you could buy a hose brush. you should be able to get one at any good fish shop. a dirty hose can really reduce flow, since any turbulence in the hose makes it less efficient. cleaning a hose won't make a massive change, but I've definitely had clean filters and slightly sluggish flow and a good clean of the pipes has fixed it.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
01 Feb 2016 23:49 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Would seahorse have a brush

More
02 Feb 2016 00:31 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'd say so. If not them then other large outlets would.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 Feb 2016 13:23 #6 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic cleaning hose
I used to clean mine by putting a peice of airline tube down the inside of it, tying a knot in it and then pulling it back.
The good thing about airline pipe is that it bends easily to push it through the pipe in the first place, won't damage the pipe as its soft, and we all have it hanging around.
Hope it works for you!

More
02 Feb 2016 15:02 #7 by robert (robert carter)
will give it a try.thanks

More
02 Feb 2016 15:38 #8 by robert (robert carter)
just purchased a hose cleaning brush for aquarium hoses off ebay 3euro from china ,free postage ,but will probably take a month to arrive .

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds