Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

black algea

More
02 Feb 2016 17:54 #1 by robert (robert carter)
have a bit of black algae in my tank ,rather unsighty , just done my weekly water change ,added some phosphate remover into my e1501 ,reduced the lighting to 6 hours ,and will reduce the feeding . I also added some esha protalon 707 anti algae treatment ,this is a 7 day treatment ,has anyone used this product ,and if so how did you find it ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2016 19:13 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic black algea
just a update on day three of this product and boy is it working , a very noticeably reduction in black algea on both the hardscape ,bogwood and plants .4 days to complete the treatment .

More
05 Feb 2016 23:10 #3 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic black algea
That's great news Robert that your onto the solution to your problem,there was an aquatic shop in dub city that I went into and every tank had masses of BBA.Needless to say I came out of the shop with the same amount of dosh I went in with even though they had a couple of species of fish I was looking for that I hadn't seen in the market for a while ....

More
06 Feb 2016 10:21 - 06 Feb 2016 10:23 #4 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Im gonna apologize for being a know it all in advance here....

Using chemicals to eradicate problems like Ammonia spikes, PH issues, Algae issues etc is the eqvialent of picking at a healing scab...Its basically just masking the problem...

I think Robert that you may just find when you stop using the treatment the problem will return...

You really need to get to the underlying reasons for any aquarium issues to solve them permanently...

9 times out of 10 the issue is with the water!

In my honest opinion the only chemical thats needed for a healthy aquarium is dechlorinator to treat your water at water change time......Dumping chemicals into a freshwater tropical tank is just money down the drain as far as im concerned...

I will say this though...Planted tanks require Ferts and Co2...So if you class them as chemicals well then they are the only ones I would ever use!
Last edit: 06 Feb 2016 10:23 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
06 Feb 2016 11:27 #5 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic black algea
hi , yes to a degree I go along with what you are saying, I have also taken other steps to stop this coming back , reduced the lighting hours to 6 hrs ,added a phosphate remover into the e1500 filter increased the aeration and stopped the midday feed . so just two feeds a day so hoping the catfish will keep the gravel cleaner and that the rosy barbs will eat algea . basicly the more hungry the fish are the better they are at scavaging food . finally after all the post about water changes I am going to increase these

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds