Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

white water

More
23 Apr 2016 09:49 #1 by robert (robert carter)
My 350 litre community tank is now up and running 7 months ,all is good ammonia nil nitrite nil and nitrate about 10ppm . Weekly water changes of 30% being done . However my water still has a slight white hue to it , something like white water sydrome you normally get with a new tank, i would have thought that after 7 months this should be gone . Any help would be great as i would have expected crystal clear water by now .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2016 16:35 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic white water
Very surprised no one has ideas that might help me with this issue, isnt not a major problem but would just like my water crystal clear

More
23 Apr 2016 20:00 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic white water
Have you tried some carbon to clear it or ive heard that purigen works great for polishing water

Eric

More
23 Apr 2016 20:45 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic white water
Sorry I missed this topic all together
What's in the filter? Filter floss will help remove small particles in the water that would be making the water whitish! Maybe throw a second filter in for a few days with only floss and carbon in it! What water conditioner you use out of interest?

More
23 Apr 2016 21:05 #5 by robert (robert carter)
Have two filters on the tank an aqua 1200 with sponges and 3kg of biohome ultra media and a crystal profi c1500 with the suppied media in it . Not running any carbon in them . The white is just a lite hue but would prefer it gone . Water perameters are good and fish all look happy . Just wrecking my head its just like a new set up but the tank is running 7 months now

More
23 Apr 2016 21:15 #6 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic white water
Id go with filter floss it always works for me

More
23 Apr 2016 21:20 #7 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic white water
Hi Robert could it be a bacterial bloom,i had something similar a good while back and as far as I remember I put some polyfilter in the tank positioned in front of the spraybar and it went.Could have been coincidence but I,m afraid that's my tuppence worth,hope it gets sorted soon ....

More
23 Apr 2016 21:22 #8 by nomad (pat murphy)
Replied by nomad (pat murphy) on topic white water

Id go with filter floss it always works for me

+1 too,you cant beat that stuff..

More
24 Apr 2016 01:31 #9 by robert (robert carter)
Thanks for the input lads but their is already floss in the aqua one 1200 on top of the biohome its the last thing the water goes throw before returning to the tank . Am in work now but had a silly thought would it be the effect of too much lighting . At present their is two t8s a led light bar and a unit with 4 t5s in it . Plants wouldnt grow until i put this amount of lighting in

More
24 Apr 2016 01:37 #10 by alan 64 (alan)
Would being so heavily stocked create this as waste and the amount u would have to feed might cloud the water

More
24 Apr 2016 19:04 #11 by robert (robert carter)
was in sh got a bottle of sea chem clarity have dosed the tank and removed one sponge from the aqua 1200 and put in two thick pieces of floss , so I guess we wait and see . they reckon its a bacterial bloom .

More
25 Apr 2016 06:17 #12 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic white water
Bizzarly I had this issue when I was running an older filter FULL OF media! Had ceramic rings sponges bio balls everything (some years ago).
A very well seasoned fish keeping friend was at my gaff and removed about 1/3rd of the media and bagged it all up! He put the filter back together and back onto the tank! I never had an issue again! Now that to me doesn't make any sense but it worked within about 7 or 8 hours of the filter going back on!
He told me it was something he had done with his own tank previously to resolve the same issue and it worked for him as well!
Anyone care to try explain that 1? Cause I certainly can't!

More
25 Apr 2016 06:58 #13 by robert (robert carter)
hi that certainly doesn't make sense to me , my lights are not on till 4pm but tank seems clearer but a lot of suspended particules floating around ,will try and put up a few pics tomorrow although find it hard to do ,thanks again Robert

More
26 Apr 2016 02:31 #14 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic white water
Carbon usually does the trick for me.

More
26 Apr 2016 16:58 - 26 Apr 2016 17:35 #15 by robert (robert carter)
Just an update well the Seachem Clarity did nothing in the last 36 hours . just done a really good gravel clean and 50% water change and the tank is worst than it was a strong white hue in the water , also added some carbon into the 1500 e filter , so now we have doubled the amount of floss and added carbon . If this doesn't work don't know what to do. Just a thought seeing that its worst after a water change is it possible that its something in our tap water
Last edit: 26 Apr 2016 17:35 by robert (robert carter). Reason: sentance added

More
27 Apr 2016 02:56 - 27 Apr 2016 02:59 #16 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
When was the last time you cleaned out your filters?
And do you gravel vac regularly?

Possibly Heterothrophic Bacterial Bloom...(This is a different bacterial bloom to the one you see with new tank syndrome)

www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index....ic=35926.0;topicseen

www.aquariumcarebasics.com/aquarium-wate...oudy-aquarium-water/
Last edit: 27 Apr 2016 02:59 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
27 Apr 2016 05:16 #17 by robert (robert carter)
Really good gravel vac done yesterday ,one filter cleaned last week the other cleaned last night when i added the carbon .just read the links you kindly sent me , and am wondering is it something in the tap water as its worse after doing a water change .. i do have a water butt where water drains off the conservatory roof which is poly carbonate it hold 200 litres , i could use this for water changes but would have to heat it to tank temp and the other question is , is it safe to use . This would of coarse make the job of water changes much more envolved and time consuming.

More
27 Apr 2016 05:22 #18 by robert (robert carter)
Will be really disappoited if i get this in the new coldwater tank thats going in ,in the next few weeks . Really do need to get this sorted, a tank looks so much better when the water is crystal clear the colours of the fish stand out so much better

More
27 Apr 2016 15:17 #19 by alan 64 (alan)
www.oscarfishlover.com/don-t-overstock have a read of this mate

More
27 Apr 2016 15:37 #20 by robert (robert carter)
hi ,thanks for the link ,however I don't think this is the problem, as water test done last night before the water change ammonia zero , nitrite zero ,ph 6.8 nitrate 15 . it seems odd to me that the white hue is at its worst after a water change ,even now 24 hrs since the change it is not as bad but still present . someone sudjested to me that extra addatives are being put into the water system since the start of water meter installation . so the mystery deepens . :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

More
27 Apr 2016 16:04 #21 by alan 64 (alan)
Fill a pint glass with ur tap water and check how cloudy it is also easylife filter media is great for getting clear water and darren in seahorse will do u up his own mixture very cheap i use it as my tap conditioner

More
27 Apr 2016 18:32 #22 by robert (robert carter)
Ok done as sudjested took a pint glass and filled from the kitchen tap which is the main into the house and presto it has a white hue to it . So now i know its the tap water how do we sort the problem ?. Is there any where that i can get a proper water test done to find exactly whats in the water? Now how safe is rainwater to use in an aquarium ?

More
27 Apr 2016 19:15 #23 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Rain water should be ok but best to filter through carbon before using. Also check for ammonia before using.

Kinda a pity though as you had the water changes sorted, maybe the cloudy tap water is temporary, here's hoping

More
27 Apr 2016 20:20 #24 by robert (robert carter)
If i start using rain water am back to containers of water with heaters in them and the heavy buckets again , not to mention she wont be happy with containers of water around the house heating up for a tuesday night water change . I have noticed a slight improvement tonight so maybe the carbon in the filter is helping ,we will see in a couple more days . Any idea where i could get a proper water test done ?

More
27 Apr 2016 23:58 #25 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Has the water been tested for KH?
or put under a microscope?

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
28 Apr 2016 00:11 #26 by robert (robert carter)
No , who can do that

More
28 Apr 2016 02:03 #27 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Replied by Sukahn (Shane Doorley) on topic white water
Robert, due to the fact its been dryer over the last few days your water hardness has probably gone up, it has more limescale in it. If you could put a normal canister 10-15 micron filter on your inlet to the tap you use for water changes it should sort it out for you.

Your local water treatment plant could have also changed its dosing parameters as well so it could be there for awhile. Micron filter would still be your best bet.

More
28 Apr 2016 06:59 #28 by robert (robert carter)
This problem has been since the tank was set up 7 months ago and i just kept thinking that it would settle down but it hasnt , it has really come to a head with the new tank going in , dont want this in the new tank . The filter you are talking about is that one you put onto the incoming water supply, if so dont know anything about them as to where to get one or how difficult they are to enstall, but will research it tonight when in work , can sh test for water hardness?

More
28 Apr 2016 11:24 #29 by alan 64 (alan)
Yea seahorse can check ur hardness they also do a filter media called symec micro that polishes water, ye cut it to size put it in ur filter for a day and ur water should be clear but if its ur tap doing this you would have to repeat this process after each water change

More
28 Apr 2016 12:30 - 28 Apr 2016 12:34 #30 by robert (robert carter)
thanks Alan I will go down to them at the weekend, think I will use rainwater for the coldwater tank , its just the hassle of heating it for the tropical ,have carbon in one of the filters at present hoping this might help, certainly your idea is worth a try. had a look on line for an in line filter that I could put into the hose I use for refilling the tank but they seem to have a very small flow rate using a quarter inch hose .
Last edit: 28 Apr 2016 12:34 by robert (robert carter). Reason: added sentance

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds