Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tank Upgrade

More
04 May 2016 17:33 #1 by DK1981 (Diarmuid Kelly)
Hi all,

I have not posted for a while. I joined and got my first tank around March 2014 or so.

A small ( too small!) 35 Litre beginner tank. I have kept a few endlers, shrimp, small catfish and snails over the months, with a few losses here and there.

I now am thinking of upgrading to a bigger tank so i can stock more fish etc

Has anybody anysuggestions of a reasonable upgrade size and advice on what routes to go.

eg tank volume and a build or whether to buy.

Was considering maybe around 200 litres or so?

Should i go bigger, take the cost now or would that be big enough for a normal sized room?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2016 03:21 #2 by CG (K Lynch)
Replied by CG (K Lynch) on topic Tank Upgrade
Hi,

I'm pretty much new to the hobby as well.

I have a 115 litre tank and am currently cycling a 54 litre.

I think for an average sized room you could have a 300 litre or approx 70 gallon tank quite easily.
I think it depends what you want/like - if you'd be interested in keeping African cichlids, big catfish, etc.. you're going to want a big tank.
Personally, I like my 115 litre - I can have nice community tank set-up with Platy's, corydora's, tetras and a Bolivian Ram (which I adore).

other more experienced members might have more info.

Kevin

More
05 May 2016 03:24 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic Tank Upgrade
200l is a good size tank for any room. There's lots of second hand tanks out there ready set up. You could buy baby fish and enjoy watching them grow up.

More
05 May 2016 07:41 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Yeah, 200L is a good size. Big enough to give you options but not so big as to be overwhelming.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
05 May 2016 07:57 #5 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic Tank Upgrade
Hi ,i have a 350 litre in the front room set up as a community tank and am getting made a 470 lite including sump that will be set up as coldwater for koi , which is also going in the front room. I should point out that we use our front room very little , what i would say is buy as big a tank as you can accomate /afford bigger is easier to look after . As Paulv said there is good value to be had in secondhand tank and quite often members of this forum have them for sale . Good luck its a great hobby , but one tank is never enough .

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds