Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Tank : blank Canvas

More
12 May 2016 09:55 #1 by DK1981 (Diarmuid Kelly)
Hi folks,

Ive been posting recently about a few bits ( tank size for an upgrade and what substrate etc) - fairly inexperience fish keeper still but am hoping to improve and gain a few ideas.

Anyway, i have upgraded a tank - got a 240 litre fluval roma tank and have went for the sand option - basic BD trading sand from fish shop. ( colur is normal sand)

My old tank ( first tank was a tiny 35Litre Marina started tank)

so i have set the tank up, painted the background black, put in the sand, filled the tank and have started the heater and filter etc and am beggining a fishless cycle .

Put in some Prime and Fluval cycle - and will be using Kleen Off as my ammonis source in due course.

So all i have in it at moment is literally sand, water and equipment.

Basically i was hoping for maybe some ideas now as to what to do with this blanck canvas?

both in terms of plants, wood and stones etc or type of fish or anything really if people had ideas

I know everybody has different preferences and opinions but if people could share a few i would be grateful

i would like to have a reasonably coherent plan in place rather than just adding random ad hoc things here and there, whihc is what i did with my small tank and it never looked great or something i was proud of etc

Cheers

diarmuid

I know everybopdy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2016 12:05 #2 by robert (robert carter)
hi ,too me the first thing you need to deside is what type of fish are you going for , as this would have an impact on the type of plants you go for . I am currently setting up a coldwater koi tank so because these fish dig like mad am only going hardscape no plants .

More
12 May 2016 16:35 #3 by CG (K Lynch)
Hi,

I'm new to the hobby but I would second what Robert wrote.
It depends on what fish you want. Coldwater, Freshwater or Marine...

Personally, I like freshwater. There's a huge choice - bottom schooling, middle schooling etc.

The type of fish you choose will determine the type of tank. For example you are using a sand substrate which is good for South American Cichlids and Corydora catfish or some cichlids like caves - this might affect your planning.

More
12 May 2016 16:50 #4 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
If u r new, I definitely don't recommend marine as it takes a lot of attention and more money than freshwater. Have not looked after marine myself, but have a few friends who had then changed
If u are going for cold water your options r limited.
If u are going for tropical u have many choices... U should choose if u want a community tank or not first tho

More
13 May 2016 04:28 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Get yourself a good water test kit like the API kit. If you're using plants then lighting becomes important. Do lots of Google work as different fish types require different water conditions like ph, temp and hardness. Keep posting on here, once you decide on what fish type you like then start from there.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds