Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Arcadia polyfilter

More
21 Jun 2016 21:44 #1 by robert (robert carter)
Hi , has anyone used this and if so what are your thoughts on it . I put a piece of it in the coldwater sump ,it certainly seems to clear the water and my water tests tonight before the 20% water change were ammonia zero, nitrite zero , and nitrate 10. So reckon its doing the job , however it is quite expensive and just how long it will last i dont know . Your reviews please

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2016 22:11 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Highly recommended as part of an essential emergency kit.

The colour changes will tell you something about what is being adsorbed.

I am a big fan of solid phase agents to remove various chemicals out of the water.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
21 Jun 2016 22:18 #3 by robert (robert carter)
What about using on an ongoing basis in my sump is it worthwhile

More
21 Jun 2016 22:28 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
It gets exhausted (= reaches it maximum capacity).

Now, it is possible that once exhausted it can then continue as a media for the growth of beneficial bacteria..............but once it is black then it best to bin it.
I have used it as an exhausted piece of additional filter media............but I can't really tell someone else to do that.

Other solid phase chemical removal agents include activated carbon (good....but has some limitations), ammonia adsorbing zeolites (really great), and nitrate removing agents such as JBL NitraEx (great great............that can be re-generated easily but can't be used for marines).

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
21 Jun 2016 22:45 #5 by robert (robert carter)
Thanks Ian ,will run with the piece i have, and see how long it lasts before deciding

More
22 Jun 2016 22:53 #6 by nomad (pat murphy)
Would polyfilter neutralise dosing the likes of plant micro and macro ferts for feeding plants and would there be a negative effect to the likes of easylife the likes of FFM,active charcoal etc...

More
23 Jun 2016 08:50 #7 by robert (robert carter)
hi nomad, my impression is that it only takes the nasties out of the water , I am currently using it in my new cold water tank that has the koi fry in , the only planks are candian pond weed so no ferts or liquid carbon going in . just trying to keep water parameters perfect so the fry will get maxium growth

More
24 Jun 2016 05:52 #8 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
I'm thinking of getting this now, just to make sure my larger tank stays healthy all the time.

More
24 Jun 2016 14:47 #9 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Arcadia polyfilter
Used, ie. exhausted polyfilter is an excellent media on which to grow various mosses.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
24 Jun 2016 14:48 #10 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Arcadia polyfilter
Excellent media by the way, its just too bloody over priced!.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds