Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My experience with cycling a second tank

More
04 Jul 2016 11:54 #1 by CG (K Lynch)
Hi all,

I want to share my experience with cycling a second tank.
I have a 100 litre tank that's been established for 9 months or so. I bought a 54 litre (as a hospital tank/quarantine tank) and I wanted it to cycle as quickly as possible. I can't say that this will work for all but I can say that it worked for me.

First I put in a piece of sponge from my filter.
For a week, I fed the tank fish food and let it process. Then I wrung my sponges from my fluvial 206 directly into the tank.
I did so again a few days later.

I checked the parameters daily (after a week) and the ammonia and nitrite readings were 0.
After 12 days or so, I put in a couple of platy's and continued to check the water param's.
All were fine so from what I can gather it cycled almost instantly this way.

After I treated a sick platy successfully.

Keep in mind that I used a test kit to check the water almost daily.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2016 13:23 #2 by robert (robert carter)
I have just used organic aqua in my cold water tank and put fish into it 10 mins later added a few more fish a week later and all is going great , will continue to use it for about 3 month and then slowly come off it ,by which time my media in the sump should be cycled

More
04 Jul 2016 14:34 #3 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
+1 on this. Its works for me, usually I take some biomedia from established tank or leave second filter to run in established tank for about 2 weeks before setting up new tank.

Tom

Time to create page: 0.032 seconds