Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Guppy tank

More
04 Mar 2017 21:38 #1 by robert (robert carter)
Hi all , i have set up a 100 litre guppy tank and was wondering about a suitable clean up crew . My first though would be young corrys of some variety , but wonder would they eat the fry , so far dont have a problem with the parrent eating the fry . I keep them well fed to prevent this hence i need a clean up crew .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2017 09:58 #2 by iain54 (Iain Minchin)
Replied by iain54 (Iain Minchin) on topic Guppy tank
I think you need a small fry tank even a bucket with a heater and a small sponge filter would do until they're big enough to be introduced back into the main tank

More
05 Mar 2017 10:29 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic Guppy tank
How about a good group of pygmy corydoras or otos ?

Eric

More
05 Mar 2017 18:49 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic Guppy tank
I wasnt going down the line of seperating fry from parents the tank has a lot of floating plants as well as planted plants so masses of hiding places for the fry . Think i will try seahorse next weekend for some pygmy corries . Thanks for your help

More
05 Mar 2017 23:56 #5 by iain54 (Iain Minchin)
I woke up to some fry today can't find them anymore loads of plants etc so hopefully they're hiding somewhere or else they were a snack

More
06 Mar 2017 09:04 #6 by robert (robert carter)
My tank has loads of plants and floating moss , i make sure they are very well fed feeding 4 times a day , and so far the parents have left the fry alone , maybe some parents are better than others . I have 6 females and two sunset males reckon about 30 fry and two females very ready to give birth , i surpose you will always loose some but so far so good . Tank is 100 litres . Because of the feeding amount hence the reason looking for a suitable clean up crew

More
06 Mar 2017 09:32 #7 by iain54 (Iain Minchin)
Mine are mollies and they love to eat their young

More
06 Mar 2017 11:37 #8 by robert (robert carter)
Yes i believe they do

More
19 Mar 2017 18:32 #9 by robert (robert carter)
Have moved my shrimp into a slighty larger tank , from 26 litre to 45 litre , now i was also hoping to use it as a grow on tank for my guppy fry . Two questions , will guppies eat the shrimp ? and secondly could i put a couple of panda corrys in as a clean up crew or will they eat the shrimp . Thanks

More
21 Mar 2017 01:36 #10 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Guppy tank
In the absence of a reply to your question Robert, I can tell you that I have a pair of Corydoras panda in a small tank of Rilli Shrimps and - to the best of my knowledge they have never caught a live Shrimp.
Guppy fry, too, have never eaten any either.

You will know that Shrimps have no internal skeleton, but are protected by an exoskeleton. This makes them pretty immune to attack from any fish which is unable to eat them whole (or bite them into pieces).
Their vulnerable time (apart from newly-hatched ones) comes when they shed the skeleton. Although a new one has already formed beneath the old one before they shed it, it takes a while for it to harden and it is then that they are at their most prone to being attacked.
In the Shrimp's favour, however, is the fact that - for defence - the Shrimp will mostly hide under stones, etc, until the new skeleton hardens.

So, for what it's worth, my advice would be for you to add the Cories and your Guppy fry, they should be fine.

Maybe more Shrimp-type people would like to comment?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
21 Mar 2017 13:30 #11 by robert (robert carter)
Thanks for your reply John , will get a couple of panda corrys at the weekend .

More
03 May 2017 18:06 #12 by PENEV10 (Brian Farrell)
Replied by PENEV10 (Brian Farrell) on topic Guppy tank
My corys never go near my guppy fry. Corys stay in the bottom half of the tank whilst the fry stay up top

More
30 May 2017 22:57 #13 by B0kett0 (Charlotte Tugwell)
Our corys have never gone for the guppy fry either. Even the tiger barbs showed no interest but had floating plants also that the fry hid in

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds