Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fish Tank TV stand

More
19 Jul 2017 08:31 #1 by barr (declan)
Hi All

Just wondering do these exist.

I’m basically looking for a TV unit where I can sit the TV on top and have a tank underneath.

Something maybe holding 200 – 300 litres.

I had a look in the local stores and nothing like this was for sale :(

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2017 09:25 #2 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
I don't think it would work. Apart from the danger, a TV above your tank would possibly cause overheating. All that humid air getting up and into the TV. Sounds pretty dangerous to me. I've no doubt someone somewhere will have either tried it or is doing it.

More
19 Jul 2017 11:07 #3 by barr (declan)
Replied by barr (declan) on topic Fish Tank TV stand
Thanks Bill , didn't think of it that way.

The difficulty I was thinking of is how to do water changes and maintenance with access restricted to the lid of the tank.

More
19 Jul 2017 20:41 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Personally i dont think its a runner , have seen the old type tv unit where the tv has been removed and replaced with a tank

More
19 Jul 2017 22:01 #5 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Maybe build one yourself...

There will be no problems once the tank has a tight fitting lid to avoid evaporation and hence moisture rising in to the tv....Also try keep the bottom of the tv a couple of feet above the top of the tank...

Lower down tank / higher up tv..............

Search Google Images for "aquarium tv stand" There are various different ideas to see how to make it work...

More
19 Jul 2017 22:03 #6 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
This is both interesting and genius...

More
20 Jul 2017 08:55 #7 by barr (declan)
Afraid my DIY skill would not be the best :) I was hoping to buy something "off the shelf"

Given they are not readily for sale seems to indicate maybe they do work that well in practice.

More
20 Jul 2017 09:13 #8 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Electricity and water need respect, things like this need to be done by someone that knows what they are doing, someone like a qualified electrician.
Who's the aquarium builder on the forum? He would have an idea about how safe/possible it is to make such an item, plus he could probably build it much cheaper for you than you could buy it. Have a word with him. Is his name Bart?

More
20 Jul 2017 10:08 #9 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Any electricians in the house :whistle:

More
20 Jul 2017 10:12 #10 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Bart does make some class stuff....

Facebook "Rainbow Aquatics"....

His workshop has moved as far as I know...Think he is in Naas now....

www.facebook.com/Rainbow-Aquatics-318819601495991/

More
20 Jul 2017 16:41 #11 by barr (declan)
Thanks lads , I will give him a try.

Some decent stuff on his page :)

More
21 Jul 2017 11:23 #12 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
I haven seen it done in my uncles house in India, but it was custom made and the ceilings in India are really high , allowing enough space for filtration underneath the tv, he has someone to do maintenance and the water is from a well, it's quite cool but the fish are difficult to see, the tank is high.

More
21 Jul 2017 14:46 #13 by barr (declan)
Hi Aldrin , I am not quite following - if the fish tank is that high would the tv be above this again .

More
21 Jul 2017 19:57 #14 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
The tv is in the middle, bottom there is filtration, middle tv and top tank

More
21 Jul 2017 20:35 #15 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Aquariums that are up high are a pain in the butt for maintenance unless you enjoy reaching and climbing step ladders...

That layout sounds pretty kewl though...(in theory)

Note that Aldrin said his uncle didnt do his own tank maintenance... :whistle:

More
22 Jul 2017 00:26 #16 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
He's filthy rich, labour is also quite cheap in India, I personally don't like him s set up as the fish are difficult to see, but it's a set up to show off wealth

More
29 Jul 2017 11:22 #17 by robert (robert carter)
Hi , is Bart still around , i know he moved from clondalkin , just have a friend whos thinking about a tank .

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds