Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New 40l tank. Help needed

More
09 Jul 2019 21:15 #1 by Philobr (Phil OBrien)
Hi, I have a new 40l tank and I need some help.
I'm still a beginner, I got the 20l set up for kids and I just feed and clean gravel with siphon vacuum.
The 40l is all mine. So I can do what I want.
I've 2 questions.
1. Is it possible to set the tank up so I dont have to vacuum the gravel. I dont want to add plants and read up about under gravel filters?
If plants are the only way to go then I'll get some help with that. I looked up aquascaping but reckon that's really expensive.
2. I'd like some really colourful fish. I'd rather have a few really small colourful ones than 2 bigger ones.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2019 13:27 #2 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
You can got bare bottom, you'll still have to siphon fish waste from the bottom of the tank too. Some fish won't hold colour in a bare bottom tank too.

More
10 Jul 2019 15:51 #3 by Philobr (Phil OBrien)
Hi,
I was looking more so for a solution where I dont have to siphon the waste.

I'm assuming you dont if you go down the aquascaping route.

Wasnt sure about the under gravel filter though.
Thanks

More
11 Jul 2019 07:39 #4 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
You will always have to siphon waste, doesn't matter what tank you have.

More
14 Jul 2019 19:17 #5 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Agreed.
You will always have to syphon poo from tanks. It is heavier than water so sinks.
Sorry!!

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds