Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Mollie and new tank(separtate questions)

More
09 Apr 2008 09:34 #1 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Hi all,Im trying to kill two questions in the one post here! Firstly I recently noticed one of my black mollies beginning to get a little agressive towards the other fish in my tank. The mollie has also put on some weight so perhaps it is pregant ?(not even sure its a female).She seems to nudge away the other fish mainly while feeding is occuring. I have some bronze catfish so give them sinkable tablets,this usually creates alot of activity in the tank but the Black mollies seems to think all the food should be for her.She is the largest fish in the tank. The other fish's are Mollies,guppies and tetras as well as the bronze cats. Can anyone explain why the black mollie has gone from quiet fish to prowling around the tank lately? I think I am going to feed the tablets at night time before I go to bed in future as the cat's should seek them out at the bottom and the molly will probably not see it?

Secondly,I am thinking of starting another smaller aquarium,maybe something around the 5 gallon mark or so. I know alot of people will suggest getting a betta, however can anyone advise me of other fish I could get instead ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2008 09:53 - 09 Apr 2008 09:55 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi to answer your question properly i'd need to find out if its a male molly of female, males generally have a sail like dorsal fin (the one on top of the back) and a gonopinum
( excuse the expression but its like a willy) as in pic below
the female has a small dorsal fin and a standard ventral fin .
if its male it maybe trying to mate with females and so trying to show dominance if its female she could be ready to drop fry and as such be a bit protective of herself..

as for your nano tank how about corys, ottos, tetras or rasboras this is the male

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Apr 2008 09:55 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie). Reason: mistake in adding pic

More
09 Apr 2008 10:48 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Would the 5 gallon tank be large enough for those type of fish ? I think the Molly is a female.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Apr 2008 12:49 - 09 Apr 2008 13:04 #4 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Mollie and new tank(separtate questions)
This is the picture of a male lyretail platy and his gonopodium :

A 5 gallon tank is very very small to keep fish and also to keep stable water conditions. I use a tank this size for quarantine/hospital/nursery for a small number of small fish. A Siamese fighter might be indeed your best plan.

Hope this helps.
Valerie
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Apr 2008 13:04 by Valerie (Valerie).

More
09 Apr 2008 13:43 #5 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Thanks Valerie, I also a 5gallon is quite restrictive for fishes alright. I may actually go alittle large to perhaps 10 gallon which would improve my options then. Basically I have a study room which I would love to add an aquarium to, and not just add the aquarium but to make it a more interesting tank. I have a lovely community aquarium in my living room which everyone admires however the Study room will be private so as such I will be the one admiring the tank! Any suggestions. I looked into Marine tank however Ill hold my hand up and admit its most probably beyond my experience at present. Any ideas for the 10 gallon tank. Appreciate the help.

More
09 Apr 2008 17:48 #6 by nonie (leonie troy)
Hi Fishowner - have you looked at shelldwellers they are great fish to watch esp in your study where you can be distracted by a fly on the wall!!! :) They only need a small area to live in. Here is a link to have a look at them!!

www.shelldwellers.com

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds