Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Advice for absolute beginner

More
12 Apr 2008 10:27 #1 by Blub (Edwina Hogan)
Hi. I have decided to take the plunge and finally purchase an aquarium. I have always wanted one, so I am very excited. I have been doing a little research and have alot to go, but just wondered if I could get your opinions on a tank. I need to get a corner tank, due to size etc of room. I have been looking at two in particular, a Juwel 190 and a Fluval Venezia. Both of these tanks are a few hundred cheaper to purchase from the UK, has anyone had experience good or bad with either of these tanks and has anyone every bought a tank from abroad? Also can anyone think of any potential problems I could have by purchasing this way. Thanks, I have no doubt I will be posting on this site every few days to aid my research.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Apr 2008 11:20 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Advice for absolute beginner
Hi Blub,

Welcome to the forum :-)

Great to see that you are doing some research before taking the plunge ! :-)

A corner tank is probably the most space efficient - the only problem with the bowed front is that it makes it difficult to take pictures as it tends to deform the fish when looking at it close up.
In any case, you seem to be heading the right way : research and planning beforehand - patience is a great trait to have when it comes to fishkeeping.

Do you know what type of fish you are going for ?

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post.

Kindest regards,
Valerie

More
12 Apr 2008 12:14 #3 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Hello and welcome.

mwdragondk, or Mickey has priced tanks all over Ireland. he has found a place in Lisburn (near Belfast)that is cheaper. MAybe you could pm him for details. also seen Equipet in ashbourne and navan are selling the juwel with free stand at moment, so that saves about 200 if you were looking for the stand aswell.ashbournes phone is 018352702 if you want to double check. I've a vision, bow front looks well.

More
12 Apr 2008 12:32 #4 by goldy (goldy .)
HI blub welcome to the forum. have a look in the sponsor section and maybe send a few pms and ask the prices. I got mine from petshoponline and its great. good luck with whichever tank you go for

More
12 Apr 2008 14:54 #5 by Blub (Edwina Hogan)
Thanks for your advice, its great to be able to ask questions on this forum. I actually went down to Ashbourne and the promotion on the Juwel was over on Wed, so it is back to its original price of Euro750. I'l keep looking.

More
12 Apr 2008 17:00 #6 by boldpony (Dave Kelly)
hey blub

i actually got my tank in february its a jewel and the stand was free.
I got it in the Dublin Pet Store on Capel Street
The number is 743116 theyre quite friendly down there.
Mine is a Rekord 70 it looks great cost €210.

Look them up you might be lucky.

Happy Tank Hunting!:woohoo:

More
12 Apr 2008 19:16 #7 by Blub (Edwina Hogan)
You are all so helpful with your advice, it is great. I have gone into a few pet shops and felt that by even asking a question about fish I was annoying them. I did ask in one shop about how many fish could go in a fish tank and was told \"loads\". As I am only beginning on my journey with this, I have loads of questions, and the more I research the more I realise I need to find out. Anyway I think I am now swaying towards the Fluval Venezia 190, as I like the look of it better. Thanks for the point about the corner tank and the quantity of fish, however, really it is all that will suit my space at moment. Now, as for fish, where do I start? I guess what I am looking for is colour, I don't mind starting with a few and building them up, any recommendations on this again would be most welcome. I know there is loads to learn about this, and I guess it is a topic that you learn more about as you go on. Also, any thoughts on what to put on the bottom, sand or gravel? :blink:

More
12 Apr 2008 21:18 #8 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
substrate: I have three types smooth pea gravel, white stuff I got in germany 1-3mm and sand. depend on to plant or not to plant along with if you want to keep fish that have barbels, like catfish, and some loaches (mainly bottom feeders).

Colourful fish: tetras- lemon, cardinal, neon, rummy nosed, black phantom tetra, red phantom tetra...loads of these... the odd one fin nips-serphea (wrong spelling i think).
then there is chilids- I have two gold rams, there is also blue ones (that are more yellow and white with a blue sheen).most chilids are very territorial though, so do some research with these.
Then there gourami's ( part of the group of labyrinth fish, who have the ability to be atmospheric air)Bubble nest builders also- be a little cautious with these, if you look at some of the post you see why, they can be a little vicious- there is dwarf gourami's (5cm) that come in a flame and their normal blue with red stripes. I have two of these that are quiet territorial. there is also pearl gourami (10-12cm) that are really nice looking, I think. there is also honey ones and loads of others.
Then there is live bearers- mollies, guppies, swordtails platys, loads of colour with these...keep males and females seperate..ie. only buy males if you don't want a batch of fry every 28 days.
Spotted headstanders are an interesting fish to watch as they swim usually at 30 degree head down.. they are one of the few headstanders that don't eat plants..if not the only one.
algae eaters are good for any tank- I like the bristlenose(12cm) and otto's (5cm) and siemese algae eater. Bristlenose is best for general algae eating, ottos are great for keeping plants algae free.
Corydoras catfish are brilliant for a bit of action in bottom of tank, although they do visit upper levels sometimes.they all seem to grow to between 5-8cm although there are some dwarf varities that are smaller.
Loads of lovely catfish and plecos advailable, beware of common pleco though they grow very large very quick if fed regurally.
Rainbow fish are lovely too, loads of these aswell.
have a look through wiki on site and also tropical tank.co.uk, www.loaches.com and planet catfish. all have good info.
you might like to get somethin bit bigger like an angle or discus as well...if you want one of these read up on them first.discus are particular about water conditions and are quiet shy and best kept with the like of cardinal tetras.
there are odd fish aswell like the elephant nose, african ghost knifefish, african butterfly....the list goes on and on. wiki here on this site or tropical tanks fish index are good places to flick through.

research and patience will pay off, and possibly save you money.
Orla

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds