Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Phantom Snail!

More
12 Apr 2008 10:48 #1 by boldpony (Dave Kelly)
Hey Guys,

New to the forum so dont know anyone yet!
Just a question about a phantom snail that has appeared in my tank this morning.
I came in and there he was just sitting on the glass.

I planted the tank with some Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis a few weeks ago. I wasnt sure if it would take but its come on well, Im guessing the snail came in with the new plant........????

Hes very small, about 2mm at the minute and hes moving very quickly around the tank.
Does anyone know if he will get bigger?
My harlequins keep attacking him but hes coping with it....
Ive also got 10 cardinal tetras, 2 kissing gourami and 2 red eye tetras.
I know very little about snails and I dont even know where to start trying to find out what type he is.
Ive read a few other posts and Im wondering if he could turn out to be a nuisance and also could there be more hiding in the plants as they are very thick...
Ive another tank with 6 rummy nose tetras, one three spot gourami, 4 phantom neons, a guppy, a platy anda dwarf gourami. Would he be better off in there?

Any info would be great as I havent a clue what to do with him!

Dave.:woohoo:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Apr 2008 11:02 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Phantom Snail!
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the site ! :-)
Snails can be a nuisance but they're not majorly bad for your tank either.

Here are a couple of links which might help you :

www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...ew/catid,5/id,33448/
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...w/catid,19/id,19965/

Depending on the size of your tank and the density of your fish population as well as your water parameters, you could always add a loach (clown or yoyo) as they are reputedly good at munching these little critters ! :-)

Hope this helps.
Kindest regards,
Valerie

More
12 Apr 2008 11:19 #3 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Don't know about snails in great detail. but same happened to me. got plants with snail eggs attached... but I didn't know what they were, soon found out. my tank wasn't stocked so I used an anti snail treatment to get rid, but it appears that it didn't kill them all and 3 months later they're multiplying like mad again. eggs i had look like clusters of clear sacs with a white dots. they are a major nusance and eat through my lovely plants. you can nearly be sure there is more.
If you want to catch them, the guys here give me a handy tip, put a leaf of lettuce into a jar and place it on your substrate at night, lift it out in morning and you should find your snails...My jar is still sitting on work top...I've spotted hundreds more eggs so think the answer for me is to get some loaches to eat the snails.
if you want to wait and see if you've got a nice snail, do, but I wouldn't especially when you've got plants.
mine ate a hole through a lovely red nymphea and most other plants.:angry:

hope my experience of snails helps!
Orla

More
12 Apr 2008 11:41 #4 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
clowns yoyo, bengal and dwarfs are all good for snail eating, but please check out www.loaches.com before buying any of these. clowns grow to over a foot and need excellent water conditions to be kept alive. Dwarfs ideally need a tanks that has been matured for a long period and also need excellent water conditions. Most loaches need to be kept in a group of three or more, ideally more, the bigger the group the happier they will be as they are very social fish, who form a social structure.

If you don't have the space the jam jar might be best. there are also some chemicals advailable to get rid of them, but think most have to be used for a long period to completely be sure that all are gone.(I used the King british treatment for just over two weeks and I still have snails. this can also put up your nitrates, unless you collect all the dead snails, but this is a hard job when they're so small)if you have a small tank it might be easier to get rid of them.

snails do have one or two benifits, but a eating holes in my plants out weighs it in my books!

Hope all goes well with your new tank!

More
12 Apr 2008 18:36 #5 by inkspot (j ryan)
Replied by inkspot (j ryan) on topic Re:Phantom Snail!
I bought some plants a few weeks ago and spotted a snail a few days later. Now there are at least 20 of various sizes and a good few patches of eggs, one snail can turn into many quite quickly and the ones in my tank seem to grow quite fast. My cherry barbs eat some of the eggs but can't manage the snails. One or two snails can be attractive but too many can cause water quality problems

More
13 Apr 2008 13:55 #6 by boldpony (Dave Kelly)
hey guys
thanks a bunch for all the advice
I caught him last night and let him go, heres hoping there wont be any more.
He had a nice shell but dont fancy a snail infestation.
if there is I will try the lettuce trap.

cheers!

;)

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds