Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How do I do this ?

More
23 May 2008 20:06 #1 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Okay interesting one here, Ive a 20 gallon tank at present in my front room. Im getting a 35gallon now and this is my senario. Im going to put the 20 gallon tank in my study room upstairs and the 35 gallon in the front room. So how do I move the existing 20 gallon tank upstairs and the fish with it? I will then let the 35 gallon cycle etc downstairs. My senario is the 20 gallon will be too heavy to carry unless its almost empty but where are my fish gonna go while Im doing this and also I dont want to have to recylce the 20 gallon again. Could I put them in a large bucket or barrel for a while (with the filters and heaters?

All advise welcome...and Im looking for advise on what to stock the 35gallon with also?
Thanks

Gavin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2008 20:56 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi Gavin,
thats the way i do it. just ensure you have enough electical out lets, plus time it with a water change make life easier. i would also add the water you are changing as as percentage of the water in the new tank. It helps!
mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
24 May 2008 00:06 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I would do Pretty much what Micky said.

What you will need is;
2-3 buckets or 2 buckets and a 25L drum.
A largish net and some syphon tubing.

Place the new tank up beside the old one regardless to were it will end up in the room later.
Disconnect heater, filter and remove the hood.
Empty some of the water from the tank into a bucket. Then catch the fish and put them into the bucket. Cover the bucket with something to reduce stress. A towel will do.
Now you can empty 60-70% of the water from the existing tank into the new tank or into buckets. It would take a lot of buckets that's why i suggest setting up the new tank beside the old one to fill temporarily with the old tank water.
With a couple of inches of water left in the bottom of the tank use the net to remove the substrate into a bucket.
The remaining water should be dumped.
With the tank totally empty you can bring it up stairs ready to be refilled.
Put the substrate in first then start to refill with the existing water. The water may be cloudy but it's nothing to worry about. Top off with fresh dechlorinated water.
Put in the heater and connect the filter. Leave it for a little while and then add the fish. Leave the lights off to reduce stressing the fish.
You should now be ready to set up the new tank.

I hope that makes sense, Darren.

More
24 May 2008 16:29 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Thanks Darren,
I hadnt thought of the substrate and the water at the end of tank so thanks for clearing that out. Of course the new tank will be able to take alot of the water anyhow which is good. I should have another heater by the time I get around to this so Ill put the fish into the bucket only after the water is bought up to temp (will use the water from the tank going upstairs of course!.

Gavin

More
28 May 2008 20:03 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Just to clarify use the tank water to hold the fish in untill the tank is set up. No need to add a heater to the bucket of water. With such a small volume of water in the bucket it would probably over heat.

More
29 May 2008 21:52 - 29 May 2008 21:54 #6 by galilee (mark johnson)
i am an old hand at moving tanks. you can do one of two things here. you could fly me to where ever you are, i work cheap. or you can do this. a twenty is really not that big of a tank and from what i am reading you are going to keep the fish in the same tank. unplug everything. remove 15 gallons of water. carry the tank to where you want it, with the fish in it. replace water. might as well do a water change an add some fresh water since you are filling it back up any way. plug everything back in and badda boom badda bing theres the tank all set up and ready to go. also when you set up your new tank use a handful of the gravel from your established tank. will cycle very smoothly that way.
Last edit: 29 May 2008 21:54 by galilee (mark johnson).

More
29 May 2008 22:25 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Gailee sounds interesting and certainly a hell of alot easier, but I reckon its still gonna be very heavy to lift ?

More
30 May 2008 00:51 #8 by galilee (mark johnson)
then take out a few more gallons. have somebody help you. i move 20's all the time. you can do it.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds