Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

new tank

More
08 Jun 2008 00:09 #1 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
hi everyone,just got myself a second hand 180 litre tank,just wondering if it will take as long as a new tank to cycle,it has filters in it already that are still being used,does this mean i can just add dechlorinated tap water and away we go,still has the gravel and everything in it,i havn't collected it yet,the tank still has malawi's in it,they'll be taken out before i get it,should i have some of the water left in it to help

Thanks

Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2008 01:19 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Depends how long the filter is off for. The bacteria start to die very fast, but if you have it up and running again within 4 hours I would think you would be fine, just test regularly for a few days and don't overstock initially.

Longer than four hours, some bacteria will still be alive, it will just take longer to regenerate, so low level stocking initially and watch your tests to see that the tank has not started to re-cycle.

Good luck with the tank. What are you planning to put in it?

More
08 Jun 2008 10:32 - 08 Jun 2008 10:35 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:new tank
Congratulations on getting hold of a new tank for yourself...sounds like you're on the long and slippery slope...
Daragh's advice is, as usual, spot on but I would just like to make a couple of additions, if you start to use the tank 'as it arrives' make regular small water changes and (this is very important) only feed a very small amount for the first week or so, gradually building up to 'normal' quantities after then...but keep an eye most diligently on the water test results - just in case you might creep into the 'new tank syndrome'...if that happens treat as a new tank...but hopefully this will not happen.

You say the tank has Malawis in it at the moment - just in case the seller has Coral gravel in it to buffer the water and make the pH higher (it would be as well to ask) - which is what might have had to be done if the pH and hardness of the seller's water supply was low you might want to think about replacing it with lime-free Aquarium gravel if you plan to keep a normal community collection of fish.

One last thing - do not attempt to carry the tank with any water in it, firstly it's heavier but more significantly the pressures of water 'slurping' around might just damage one or more of the silicone seals...and you wouldn't want that !!! By all means bring some water back with you, but bring it in a seperate container.

Good luck with the new project - keep us informed of your progress.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2008 10:35 by JohnH (John). Reason: Left letter 'R' from 'yourself'

More
08 Jun 2008 10:33 #4 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
thanks daragh,my plan is to go to dublin to pick up the tank,the tank is still running with fish in,was going to leave a bit of water in it for the spin back to galway,going up in the evening so should only take about two hours to get back down,i'm not going to stock it until i'm happy with test results anyway,i have a rekord seventy at the minute,with four zebra danio,five platys,four mollies,six glowlight tetras,a fast growing pleco,and yesterday bought two cockatoo dwarf cichlids,three platys and one molly are pregnant,so will leave them in the seventy for now and use it for fry,moving everything into the bigger tank,looking for some nice colour,any ideas what nice colourful fish could go in with the rest,will be getting three or four more cockatoo dwarfs,i think,they're beautifully
coloured fish
All ideas welcome

Thanks

Paul

More
08 Jun 2008 10:44 #5 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
Thanks john,was going to bring it down with water in it,better not,will check with him on the gravel and rocks,wont be stocking it til i'm sure the water is ok,thanks for the advice john,looking for some ideas for nice fish to go with the ones i already have

Paul

More
08 Jun 2008 11:01 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:new tank
I would advise against any more than two pairs of Apistos (Cockatoos) in that size of tank, you might just get an outright conflict appearing!

I think the best advice anyone could give regarding fish would be for you to take a good look in several shops and online to see the sorts of fish which appeal to you - then come back and ask advice as to their compatability. I could send you a list, but they would only be a list of the fish I like, and this is your tank so should have the fish in it which you like...

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
08 Jun 2008 11:46 #7 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
thanks john,i'll do that

Paul

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds