Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Fry / Isolation tank

More
13 Jun 2008 18:32 #1 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Well as per my previous threads,I didnt have the heart to destroy the fry...so I bought a small straight forward tank. Its plastic,about 15 litres size, and has an internal filter which is v small but will be fine for the size of the tank. I got a 25 watt heater,(altho was annoyed to have to pay 25 euro or so for it) and also bought some pea gravel...Now Im eager to get the tank sorted asap.....
Ive put the sponge from the new filter into the new tanks filter (just squashed it in alongside the existing 90litre tank). Ill leave it there for an hour or two.(I know I should have longer but wait for the rest of the post). Im due to change the water now in the bigger tank and I will be placing this water directly into the new tank. I am also going to place a scoop or so of the gravel in the bigger tank into the new tank and put some of the new pea gravel in then also....So when the temperature is right I should have a new fry tank (And Ill use it for Isolation in time if needed etc...when fry are moving out!). So question is can I move the fry tonight into the new tank. I dont think there will be a problem ?

Gavin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2008 19:42 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
hi gavin,
u will but before you put them in you should either cut a small piece of sponge from your main tanks filter and put this in the new filter and/or take out your main tanks sponge and squeeze it into the the new tank near the new filter.
on a side note a 15 litre tank wont really work for long its just too small. also keep an eye on the temp as its likely to rise and fall with room temperature.

lampeye

More
13 Jun 2008 20:08 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I know the tank is a tad on the small size alright. Im hoping to ship a few of these fry out after that. I dont want them but have a pet shop that will take some off of me,if I cant get rid of the rest I'll just have to cross that path then. I have squeezed some of the filter media into the new tank. Im going to wait until tomorrow before adding the fry,I want to make sure the heater and filter are working fully oveernight first.
I guess the tank will do the fry for over 2 months anyhow,I have 6 molly fry that are already nearly 2 months and they are still quite small. The new fry are only a week old and as tough as boots!! So when the fry are big enough I could always house them in another tank I should have set up by then. Main thing is that they are away from my main tank as I dont want to upset the fish in this tank, Ive worked too hard to have everything working well in it and dont want any new additions to it really. I sense the fish must be wondering what is going on, they arent as comfortable as they usually are so with about 26 fry zipping about I can see their point!!haha! At least also I will have an isolation tank when the fry are gone so Its not a wasted purchase either thankfully.

More
13 Jun 2008 20:51 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Slight problem Ive noticed here is that the filter I have with this tank,(think its a cheapy one),called Elite. The flow seems to be too fast for the fry,Ive tryed to slow the flow but while there is a current coming from it,there is no bubbles coming out of it when the flow is turned down. Can someone help me out on this. Im afraid the fry are gonna get rather stressed,Ive put 2 of them in to see how they will manage it. Can someone advise whether there needs to be bubbles??

More
13 Jun 2008 21:09 #5 by lampeye (lampeye)
short answer: no
this is a venturi which adds aeration to the tank. id be suprised if this added to much flow but u can always just take off the the hose thingy (if this is the same filter as below)......just make sure that the filter output disturbs the surface of the water so enough oxygen gets in the water.

googled it and came up with this:
The ELITE Mini underwater filter features a venturi with valve, when added aeration is desired. As well the filter is equipped with an adjustable output diverter and flow control these two functions gives you the flexibility of diverting the water flow into various locations and at the same time regulate the output volume.
from this page: www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.cfm?CA...OD_ID=01001300021501

hope this helps
fran

lampeye

More
13 Jun 2008 21:26 - 13 Jun 2008 21:58 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Fran your a star. thanks a million.I was thinking similar but Ive now taken away the tube and placed the outlets about 2 cm or so below the surface and turned to low setting.The water surface is getting its share of movement (nothing too wild but is rippling away) so think the fry are much happier now that they arent fighting a current. Will check it in the morning and if all is well then I will move the rest of the fry also. Thanks again Fran.
Gavin
Last edit: 13 Jun 2008 21:58 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds