Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

More help please

More
02 Jul 2008 13:09 #1 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Hi all,
In need of more help.when i got home from work i found another bronze catfish dead.All water test are still good.I was reading about anaerobic bacteria and i think the gravel has gone septic in my tank.It smells bad when i do water changes and i think sulfuric gasses might be killing my fish through lack of oxygen.I am not sure about this as it was the two new fish i got that have died and my older fish seem to be fine.Any help would be great.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2008 13:17 #2 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Hi Orca,

Even though your tank is 5 weeks old it isn't fully stable yet and will take a while to fully mature.

If the water smells it sounds like poor water quality, possibly high Ammonia and Nitrites. Anaerobic gasses IME would not have built up after only a few weeks in a new tank but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

What you need to do is to do a 50% water change, making sure to use de-chlorinated water. Do not clean the filter.

Cory's can be funny fish and they do not tolerate new set-ups very well, particularly chlorine (but i'm sure you are de-chlorinating the water).

I had a quick look at your previous thread, your readings were ok but Nitrate probably wasn't at 0, in any aquarium you will always find traces of Nitrate but hopefully no Nitrite.

Water changes are the key to keeping the tank healthy. Good luck.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
02 Jul 2008 13:33 #3 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Hi peter,

I am getting my water up to temp now for a large water change.I think i will give my tank more time to set up and keep doing water changes and water test.Still not sure when to put a few more fish in.The two cory's i got last weekend died and i dont want to kill any fish if my tank is not 100%.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Jul 2008 13:56 #4 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:More help please
Hi Orca,

Sorry to hear that you are having miseries with your new fish ! :-(

I would do a large-ish water change and keep monitoring the water parameters. Do I understand you don't have any fish left in your tank ? Maybe you might want to add a couple of more hardy fish such as danio rerio for a couple of weeks in order to help your tank to cycle. All going well, in a couple of weeks time, you can add another few fish and build it up progressively from there.

I hope this helps.
Valerie

More
02 Jul 2008 15:26 #5 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Appears to be 1 more fish there from my reading of it ? How large is the tank ? The smaller the tank the harder the parameters are to keep constant.

More
02 Jul 2008 16:30 #6 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
It is a rekord 96.Think i will get some hardy fish on the weekend and see how they get on for a few weeks.To take it slow seems to be the best move for now.As they say great aquariums don't happen over night.If i get near to some of the tanks i have seen on the forum i will be over the moon.

More
02 Jul 2008 20:35 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
As Peter pointed out the tank is way to young for anaerobic conditions in the substrate.
What substrate are you using?
I have a feeling your test kit is giving you false readings. What type/make is the test kit?
I would suggest 10-20% water changes every day or two for the next week without adding any more fish. I dont think your filter is up to speed. Feed the fish verry lightly if at all for the next week. Dont worry it wont harm them at all. When you do feed only offer small amounts of food. Fish need a lot less food than you may think.
As for the smell, can you describe it. Is it sharp, musty, smell like eggs etc.

More
02 Jul 2008 21:02 #8 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Hi there,
I did a 50% water change today and will test the water again with the freshwater API test kit.I might get a friend to do all my tests again to see if they differ from what i am getting.filter has good flow but will make some changes and for the smell i would say musty.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds