Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

film on top of water

More
19 Aug 2008 13:59 #1 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
hi all

i was having a look at my tank today at lunchtime
and there is a film on the top of the water

this has only manifested in the last day
i had an oily sort of slick on the top
for the last week or so which i attributed
to the food I have been putting
in while fishless cycling

i noticed it as there was a couple of flakes
right beside the filter that werent moving

i took off the top and could clearly see that
the entire surface of the water was not moving
but under this \"skin\" the filter was working away
and circulating the water quite well

i \"broke\" the surface and although i could not pick
anything up as such, it seems to have a jellylike quality
as it settled back down after a stir

juwel 60 - cycling in coldwater
internal juwel filter
feeding flakes once a day
ammonia = 4, nitrites = 0, nitrates = 0

any thoughts?

thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2008 14:50 - 19 Aug 2008 14:59 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
use kitchen paper to remove. it is probably left over from the food! but i would have expected the water pump to help this break up.

is the water level correct?

check the typical analysis on the food and this may help explain this. this can vary greatly Ive seen from about 5% to 12.5% and since this is not been digested it simply rises to the top

i would also look at the white pad in the filter personally i replaces mine with filter cotton and i think is a better result when it comes to these type problems.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods
Last edit: 19 Aug 2008 14:59 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods). Reason: adding to

More
19 Aug 2008 16:08 #3 by Sinbad311 (Simon Kennedy)
I had the same problem myself, so I just directed my outlet at the surface and the film broke up and was gone in a day or so.

More
19 Aug 2008 18:38 #4 by goldy (goldy .)
I have a couple of tanks but I get this film in the Rekord 60 regularly. If you place kitchen towel on the surface as Mickey says you can ususally pull a fair bit off. Also as sinbad suggested break the surface of teh water and it should go away. I am not sure if it is to do with the type of food I use as I alterate and it never seems to be the same food when I get the slick. Hopefully this will sort out problem for you

More
19 Aug 2008 21:35 #5 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
This seems to happen with new tanks, I read loads of opinions on what it might be attributable to, none of which seem conclusive.

Surface agitation gets rid of it in no time.

170L Bowfront Community Tank : Heavily planted : CO2 : T5 lighting

More
19 Aug 2008 21:38 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Whatever causes it, it is important to remove it or stop it from forming by having the filter return agitate the water surface. It blocks the exchange of gases between between the water and the atmosphere, holding in harmful nitrogen gas and blocking out needed oxygen.

Daragh

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds