Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Green Water

More
06 Jun 2009 13:09 #1 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hi all,
Ive been having a severe case of green water going on for a few weeks now. Ive tried the aquaclear stuff which works for a day or two then I need to clean the filter and the proplem returns soon after. Ive been reading up on these uv filters that are supposed to be great but not sure on prices or if they are available here, as ive never seen them in any of the places I get equipment. I was told also to try a three day blackout followed by a large water change and to try using a chemical to remove phosphates from the water. Fed up looking at a green tank now so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2009 15:17 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Viperbot how long is your tank set up and also does it receive alot of natural light ie.sunlight ?
It sounds very much like an algae bloom which could well be down to the increased lighting that we are presently experiencing in Summer hours. Alternatively it could be down to your aquarium lighting, what are you running on the tank and what size is the tank ?
The filter will help the problem if its cleaned but shouldnt be overly cleaned with fear it will re-cycle the tank. Filter wool / floss will help to clear the water however if it is green I would very much put it down to algae. Id certainly lower the lighting on the tank over the coming week, reduce the amount of time your light in the tank is on also going forward. The UV light that you are looking for should be available in most decent pet shops, the idea of them is that the water flow by this UV bulb which kills the algae before it goes back into the tank. This is partially true only as some algae wont be killed by this UV light, however the stanard green water that you are experiencing is straightforward enough type of algae (as opposed to string algae etc), so yes a UV light will help.
The UV light is also known as a UV sterilizer. It basically mutates the DNA of the bacteria including the algae and prevents it from developing. Many people swear by it for their tanks. It sterilises the water and prevents alot of infection, however it must be remembered that the water has to pass by this UV bulb before it will take effect ie. if a fish is carrying an infection the UV light may prevent the spread of it but wont kill it from the fish.
Sorry for the quick reply, if I get time later I'll explain it abit better, but you get the idea I hope.
Gavin

More
06 Jun 2009 16:53 #3 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Hi Gavin, thx for reply. The tank is a 125ltr and its been running for about 10 months. It is lit by 1x power-glo high intensity lamp LUX 80 and 1x aqua-glo lamp LUX 55. I had them on for about 12 hrs a day but cut that to 9 hrs as of last week. The tank is not dirctly in any sunlight but is about 3 feet from a window against a wall. Should I mabey remove one of the lamps or move the tank?

Life

More
06 Jun 2009 22:04 #4 by reefpaddy (paddy kelly)
why not try a bag of good quality carbon thats if you havnt allready tried it.

More
07 Jun 2009 15:45 #5 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
reefpaddy wrote:

why not try a bag of good quality carbon thats if you havnt allready tried it.

Nope, havnt tried that. What does it involve? I know you can get carbon filter media but never heard of it in bags...

Life

More
07 Jun 2009 17:14 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Same thing, but I dont think its going to remove the algae Im afraid.
Gavin

More
08 Jun 2009 15:01 #7 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Have decided to try the blackout method before I go buying anything. Have the tank lights off and wrapped it in black bags to stop all light getting in. Will keep this up for 72hrs. Ill let u know how it goes.

Life

More
08 Jun 2009 17:53 #8 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I think adding some filter floss will help polish the water also.

More
13 Jun 2009 12:25 #9 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
The blackout worked a treat. Did a 50% watr change also and the water is crystal clear. Thanks for the replys guys...

Life

More
13 Jun 2009 14:11 #10 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Glad it went, but theres a good chance it will come back once light is on again, we have UV filters in stock, alot of people on the site have bought them they come in 5W and 7W, simple but effective, cheap too!!!!

More
13 Jun 2009 14:21 #11 by amdaley (Tony Daly)
Replied by amdaley (Tony Daly) on topic Re:Green Water
Can you explain more about the UV filters please ?

More
13 Jun 2009 14:37 #12 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi, they are an internal filter with a UV bulb through the centre of the sponge, will help with baterial, parasitic and green water (algae) they will only remove water bourne parasites etc as they need to come in contact with the UV light from the bulb, same as all UVs, great for quarantine tanks!!! i wouldnt use them solely as a filter but as a UV.

More
13 Jun 2009 14:54 #13 by amdaley (Tony Daly)
Hi.
Would it be possible to connect one of these in line with an external filter & what type would you suggest for a 300lt tank ? You can send me a Pm if you wish.
Regards.
Tony.

More
13 Jun 2009 15:16 #14 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
They are basicly an internal sponge filter with a UV up the middle, so not able to put them inline. The 7W would do your 300L, best to call up to us and i can show you them!!!

More
13 Jun 2009 15:26 #15 by amdaley (Tony Daly)
Im a small distance away from you (south west kerry)so it might be some time before I get a chance to get that far.lol
Would it take a long time for a small internal Uv to go through all the water in my 300lt tank?
I have also heard of large external filters with a built in UV light so I was wondering if that would be a better bet.

More
14 Jun 2009 14:26 #16 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Shame, could pos. post it but might get broken.....
We stock the Sera externals too with built in UVs, way better as they have a good amount of filter media, ceramic rings etc....

More
14 Jun 2009 19:41 #17 by amdaley (Tony Daly)
Hello.
Thanks for that. I looked at the Sera site & their external fiters look the job. Are they expensive & what model would I need for 300lt?

More
22 Jun 2009 20:01 #18 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
serratus wrote:

Glad it went, but theres a good chance it will come back once light is on again, we have UV filters in stock, alot of people on the site have bought them they come in 5W and 7W, simple but effective, cheap too!!!!

You were right about it comong back. do you have a website wher I can order one? 7w should do for my tank.

Life

More
22 Jun 2009 23:45 #19 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Phone me on Wed on 01-4582522 and ill see what i can do!!

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds