Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Are these snail or fish eggs?

More
12 Aug 2010 21:06 - 12 Aug 2010 21:12 #1 by dantheman (dantheman)
Hi,

See photos below.......... Does anyone know who laid these eggs? I have ottos, popendetta furcatta, Threadfin Rainbowfish & Galaxy rasporas. I also have some snails that snuck in on the plants. I like them though so I'll leave them be as they do not eat the leaves as far as I can see. I was thinking of getting some "Neritina sp Zebra" snails, would they mix?

Thanks, Dan.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Aug 2010 21:12 by dantheman (dantheman).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2010 21:09 - 12 Aug 2010 21:10 #2 by dantheman (dantheman)
I'm struggling to meet the photo requirements! Please work!!!

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Aug 2010 21:10 by dantheman (dantheman).

More
12 Aug 2010 21:10 - 12 Aug 2010 21:13 #3 by dantheman (dantheman)
Was is this guy, what type of snail is this?

Thanks!
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Aug 2010 21:13 by dantheman (dantheman).

More
12 Aug 2010 21:20 #4 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
Definitely snail eggs , and unfortunately they can be a total pest . I had an outbreak of them recently in my tank that got so bad they managed to block an external filter ...... Get yourself a few clown loaches , or puffers , or even assassin snails to solve the problem

martin

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Aug 2010 21:22 - 12 Aug 2010 21:25 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Are these snail or fish eggs?
Physa acuta I think.

www.magnesium.net/~heather/snails/pa.html

Nerites are the best addition to any predator free Aquarium but be prepared for hundreds of unhatchable egg cases, they need brackish Water to hatch.

Assassins will kill every type of Snail in the Tank, so Nerites are a no no if you go down that route, ESHA make a Molluscide that will rid you of your Snail problem.

Kev.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2010 21:25 by stretnik (stretnik).

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Aug 2010 22:17 #6 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re:Are these snail or fish eggs?
It is called Esha Gastropex and is a 20ml bottle in a yellow box. It is very good but if you can, get a "lend" of 2 or 3 small clown loaches you won't need chemicals. I say lend because they get very big! Assasins are good but loaches are quicker.

More
13 Aug 2010 00:04 #7 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
Something that gets even bigger, but I have found is brilliant at gobbling up any snail varmint in the tank is my Black Ghost. Couldn't figure out why my snail infestation suddenly stopped and was finding empty shells. Put in two Apple Snails recently to help with algae and they were harrassed and nipped to death by the Ghost. Saw him bite chunks off before they could withdraw to their shells. Since then I have noticed him flick over small snails that emerge from the substrate and bite out the soft goodness inside. Another reason he is my favourite fish!

More
13 Aug 2010 07:57 - 13 Aug 2010 08:09 #8 by dantheman (dantheman)
Oh.... Okay, so these guys are a pest and I should get rid of them...

Assasin snails are out because they may attack my shrimp.Is there any other snail beside the assasin snail that would do the trick?

As for "Esha Gastropex 20ml bottle" I've read a bad review here:
www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/2624...tic-snail-treatment/

I'd rather not get clown loaches as I just don't like them and borrowing them might pose a problem.

I'll start manually removing them for now.

Thanks everyone!
Last edit: 13 Aug 2010 08:09 by dantheman (dantheman).

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2010 08:22 #9 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re:Are these snail or fish eggs?
I would be almost certain that there is another variable in that report that is not being accounted for. I have dealings with gastropex nearly every day and 99.9% of what I heard was positive. I find it very difficult to believe that it didn't kill off the snails unless it wasn't used as directed.
However I personally prefer going the natural route but if you cannot have assassin snails an don't want loaches you will find picking them off manually will be a battle you won't win! Good luck though!!!

More
13 Aug 2010 08:32 #10 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...mit,10/limitstart,0/

Have a look at this thread Dan, Mark used this method with a lot of success i think.....

Follow me up to Carlow

More
13 Aug 2010 16:00 #11 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
dantheman wrote:

I'll start manually removing them for now.

That will get you nowhere bro. For evey one you remove there are many more hatching. If the snails and loaches are a no go then use the chems, they do work.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2010 17:47 - 13 Aug 2010 17:51 #12 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:Are these snail or fish eggs?
Dan, you obviously haven't taken a look inside your Filter, you are in for a treat:laugh: :laugh: These Snail populations grow exponentially, consider the number of Eggs you found on a Leaf, and that's their food by the way, given all of these hatch and each has the same number of eggs you will have a big Jelly interior and no water very soon.

The guys here on the Forum have all been through this and you cannot even make a dent in a snail population, control to a degree but remove them all? , no way !

Kev.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2010 17:51 by stretnik (stretnik).

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds