Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

guppy substrate

More
22 Mar 2014 18:21 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'll be starting up a guppy only tank soon. Is coral sand ok as a substrate?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2014 20:51 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Just be careful of your PH
Guppies like the ph somewhere between 5.5 and 8!!!

Just be careful that your ph doesnt rise too high and stress them

(Coral sand will rise ph)

More
23 Mar 2014 00:04 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
do you think having relatively little sand will make a difference? I'm only intending to but about a half inch of it in the tank

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
23 Mar 2014 07:24 #4 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Just put a small layer in a bucket along with a airsone or a filter and check your ph and tds and you wil know really quickly.
Anthony

More
23 Mar 2014 10:16 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Good way to test the ph alright!!!!
Just keep an eye on kh levels aswell
From memory they need between 15 and 25 or something like that!!!!

I think itll be determined by your tap waters ph (test this also)
If the ph is higher than 8 you might try play sand (cheap alternative) or crystal quartz sand (very pretty in a tank) as alternatives

More
23 Mar 2014 10:33 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
The water out this way is pretty bog standard; pH around 7-7.2. Since I'll have the tank fishless for a few weeks I might run it in and test as I go

More
23 Mar 2014 10:53 #7 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
If you use an external filter, just put some coral sand in a sock insite the chamber, much easier to adjust the quantity needed to get the right parameters and to remove some if needed.
Anthony

More
23 Mar 2014 11:02 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

If you use an external filter, just put some coral sand in a sock insite the chamber, much easier to adjust the quantity needed to get the right parameters and to remove some if needed.
Anthony

Jesus! I keep forgetting that about externals!

Yeah, I think i might use ordinary sand in the tank and put some coral stuff in the filter. It's be much easier to manage. Thanks for that ;)

More
23 Mar 2014 16:43 #9 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic guppy substrate
Ehh can I ask why you need to use any kind of coral either in your tank or in your filter? Yis are confusing me!!!.....easily done I might add!!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
23 Mar 2014 17:00 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Ehh can I ask why you need to use any kind of coral either in your tank or in your filter? Yis are confusing me!!!.....easily done I might add!!!

Ger

cos guppies have a preference for slightly higher pH and hardness

More
23 Mar 2014 17:13 #11 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic guppy substrate

Ger

Jeepers that's good to know......I wouldn't of thought they were that fussed and what's coming out of your tap would of done the job nicely.

What are you kind of aiming for?

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
23 Mar 2014 19:07 #12 by meleftone (Kevin Usher)
Just from a quick read online "For guppies, the ideal water pH ranges from 6.8-7."

guppyfishcare.com/

More
23 Mar 2014 20:40 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Ger

Jeepers that's good to know......I wouldn't of thought they were that fussed and what's coming out of your tap would of done the job nicely.

What are you kind of aiming for?

Ger

in fairness, if any fish it tolerant of varied parameters, it's the guppy. They can survive temps as low as 15, maybe lower... right the way up to 30. They can tolerate varying pH and can survive in 150% strength seawater.

that being said, the ideal parameters are moderate hardness and neutral to slightly alkaline pH

More
23 Mar 2014 23:48 #14 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)

Just from a quick read online "For guppies, the ideal water pH ranges from 6.8-7."

guppyfishcare.com/

Fire red guppy
requirements:
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
Care Level: EasyTemperament: PeacefulWater Conditions: 64-82° F, KH 10-30, pH 5.5-8.0Max. Size: 2"Color Form: Black, Red, White, YellowDiet: OmnivoreOrigin: Farm Raised, SingaporeFamily: Poeciliidae

Blue cobra guppy
 QUICK STATSMinimum Tank Size: 20 gallonsCare Level: EasyTemperament: PeacefulWater Conditions: 64-82° F, KH 10-30, pH 5.5-8.0Max. Size: 2½"Color Form: Black, Blue, OrangeDiet: OmnivoreOrigin: Captive-bred in Asia, Central America to BrazilFamily: Poeciliida

aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?w=guppy

Some guppys are hardy little buggers
But some require proper water parameters because it hasnt been bread out of them

Fancy guppys are not always easy kept

More
24 Mar 2014 10:50 #15 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
Any Idea what guppies your going to go for? I just use Riversand, barely half an inch, I also find the bogoak helps with keeping Ph stable, other than that I have plants etc and The Guppies are thirving, I'm getting some nice mixed offspring of Endlers and regular guppies. I'd 100% recommend a few endlers as some of the markings and colourings on the offsping are brilliant,.

More
24 Mar 2014 11:03 #16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Any Idea what guppies your going to go for? I just use Riversand, barely half an inch, I also find the bogoak helps with keeping Ph stable, other than that I have plants etc and The Guppies are thirving, I'm getting some nice mixed offspring of Endlers and regular guppies. I'd 100% recommend a few endlers as some of the markings and colourings on the offsping are brilliant,.

i dunno about endler's! they're nice but don't really do it for me. I'm just going to have a mixed guppy tank, all males. I'm going to put a few plants in it too; crypts and vallisneria tortifolia, nothing too fancy. I just want it to be small, neat and easy to maintain. a lot of my setups for the next 2 years or so will be done with having the little fella around in mind. Stuff that won't be hard work to maintain and yet that he'll get a blast out of looking at

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds