Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

wild swordtails

More
31 Aug 2015 13:36 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I've been in touch with a place up north that apparently sells wild swordtails, specifically Xiphophorus signum (comma swordtail). So I have two questions...
Has anyone kept comma swordtails?
And has anyone dealt with Grosvenor Aquatics in Lisburn?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2015 13:45 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic wild swordtails
There was a time (here he goes again, do I hear?) when groups from the Club would travel up there, but - to the best of my knowledge - this practice has long since ceased. Still, we might hear from people who have bought from them.

Anyone?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
31 Aug 2015 14:04 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Cheers John. It's been an aspiration of mine for a while now to have a wild swordtail setup. Apparently these are slightly smaller ones from Guatemala, need slightly less hard/alkaline conditions than most of their kind and like faster flowing water. If these are all I hope they are, I think I'll be making some space for them :cool:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
31 Aug 2015 14:18 #4 by JohnH (John)
Sounds like an interesting project alright.

I still have a pair of Montezuma Swords which have never produced any young and four - just bought as 'Wild Swordtails' - similar comment applies, but with these the barren females followed the female Swordtail pattern and all became males!

So if you do get some I wish you the best success, certainly better than I've had, anyhow.

John

ITFS member.

More
31 Aug 2015 14:30 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
When it comes to breeding fish, I'm delighted if they do and I'm still pretty happy if they don't. Swordtails are just about the only "wild" fish I've gotten excited about in recent years though. The decorative strains just aren't that exciting to me. I prefer the more subtle original colouring.

More
31 Aug 2015 14:35 #6 by JohnH (John)
Plus one on that, much the same applies (for me) with Discus and Angels (although I do have a soft spot for Black Angels)...

John

ITFS member.

More
31 Aug 2015 20:00 #7 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Are they the ones with the yellow sword ?
I'm sure I've heard of Grosvenor Aquatics before. It was either from someone on the forum else PFK.
The more wild colour variant usually turns up in batches in the shops, but can be a bit on the small side.

More
01 Sep 2015 06:18 #8 by killikid (donald carson)
It's Grovesnor Tropicals in lisburn which you can Google for website, I have been going to them for years
They have a good selection of Marines @ Tropicals it's about a 90min drive from where I live
they don't have many Killie's which I keep,but their fish are healthy any I have purchased
have done well for me.Kk

More
01 Sep 2015 07:06 #9 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Cheers, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I just didn't want to make a 4 hour round trip and find out the place was rubbish.

More
19 Sep 2015 20:44 #10 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Replied by Jim (Jim Lawlor) on topic wild swordtails
Did you ever make the trip?

I'm after wild swordtails & other livebearers too - so would love to know if it worked out !

More
19 Sep 2015 21:16 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I sent them a couple of follow up emails and they never got back to me. It kind of disinclined me to take it any further. I might phone them during the week and see if I get any joy.

More
19 Sep 2015 21:20 - 19 Sep 2015 21:21 #12 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Replied by Jim (Jim Lawlor) on topic wild swordtails
Pity . . .

I was even looking at oddball Express in England at one stage - they would get an order together for Jeff Rapps a few times a year - so you were getting wild livebearers with their actual collection points known. Looks like they've gone bust though . . .
Last edit: 19 Sep 2015 21:21 by Jim (Jim Lawlor).

More
20 Sep 2015 08:26 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
If I have any luck I'll let you know. I should probably enquire since a wild swordtail tank is on of my dreams :angel:

More
21 Jun 2016 09:34 #14 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Replied by Bill (Bill Hunter) on topic wild swordtails
Are you still looking for wild Swordtails, LJ? There is a seller in Czech Republic selling Xiphophorus helleri Yucatan Peninsula and Xiph. helleri Rio Otapa. Prices are €18.00 for two pairs plus €15 shipping.
He has around 9 species of Xiphophorus including Xiphophorus nezahualcoyotl - The Mountain Swordtail - all around the €18.00 mark for 5 fry or two pairs depending on the species.
Bill

More
21 Jun 2016 09:42 #15 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Definitely!
Do you have contact details or a website for him?

More
21 Jun 2016 10:18 #16 by Bill (Bill Hunter)

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds