Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Results of Inbred guppies?

More
27 Feb 2008 16:56 #1 by sceilg (Craig Higgins)
Hi, I was just wondering what are the dangers of inbred guppies? Also, when are guppy fry capable of producing young?
Males and females are currently separated.
Cheers.B)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2008 17:39 #2 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Simple answer on the inbreeding situation.

By doing it you are running the risk of creating a fish that is very prone to disease and will be sick. Now the beauty of inbreeding can also be that you have a stronger fish, even though inbreeding is thought to create perfect clones you can always get specific mutations from one generation to the next that are advantageous to the fish but then again there is a higher risk that a mutation will be disadvantageous (giving you the sick fish!!)

If I were you, it would do no harm at all to breed them together but dont do it for more than a few generations. You should really try to introduce other fish that will give some genetic diversity to the population. In a hypothetical sense, if one of your fish got sick then there is a high possibility that all the other fish would also get sick as they are very closely matched (if not identically matched depending on how inbred they are)...so introducing new genetic variance in the population will allow for the \"survival of the fittest\" if a disease did hit your tank.

Inbreeding is not dangerous if you know what your doing, and I suspect that if you dont have a degree in genetics and have access to high tech genetic equipment then I'd stay clear of inbreeding for too many generations. It takes a long time for scientists to develop an inbred strain of mice that can survive and live a normal life...and during that time they do \"make\" very unusual discoveries of when inbreeding goes wrong!

So main point: Sell some of the brothers/sisters and get some strangers into that tank!! :)

I would assume guppies are capable of breeding within 2 months but I really dont know, i have never had them!

More
28 Feb 2008 10:29 #3 by nonie (leonie troy)
Hi scelig,

IMO I would not breed guppies that way as they become very very prone to illness and they loose alot of their color making them pale and in some cases white with a tinge of color on the tail. Here is a good link about breeding guppies and other FAQ's about guppies.

guppyplace.tripod.com/Breeding.html

IMO and from talking to others some guppies can be fully developed anywhere from 4 -6 weeks and can start reproducing!! But remember to keep the fry in a seperate tank and after a week or so you can distingusih the sexes (females havea gravid spot but may need a magnifying glass to see it)so seperate them again until they are of age :)!!!

~Leonie~

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds