Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Guppy aggression

More
23 Apr 2010 09:52 #1 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
I have a few guppies in my community tank, a couple of weeks ago I added neon tetras and since then one specific male guppy has shown more interest chasing them then chasing the guppy women, which I thought was unusual for a male guppy. He actually bites the caudal fins of the tetras, to the point where they are torn.

Guppies was probably my first aquarium fish(guess, can’t remember), and I can’t remember seeing this behaviour previously.

Anyone else seen a similar behaviour?

/Melander

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2010 10:44 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Guppy aggression
This sounds a little like the actions of a 'dominant' fish, newcomers have invaded his territory and he is expressing his dominance.

It would be interesting to hear others' views on this.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
23 Apr 2010 17:15 #3 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Thanks JohnH. I have to agree with you, that sounds like a good explanation.

I never expected it from a guppy thou, I must have underestimated their social structures.

/Melander

More
23 Apr 2010 20:18 - 23 Apr 2010 20:25 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Ive had exactly this happen before,it calmed for a while but recommenced some time later and it was relentless,my guppy would chase the entire neon and cardinal tetras I had despite female guppies being present.It was almost dizzying to see how intend he was on chasing them around the tank.No individual neon or cardinal,just whoever was nearest and the chase would go on for a while. In the end I took him out of the tank and put him into another larger tank where there was larger fish in and he seemed to be quite when he was in there.He was the only guppy in that tank so was calmer.

I would put it down to dominance,albeit the neon and cardinals were in the tank before the guppy. Still I tried rearranging the tank,adding other guppies etc...but this guppy seemed to have a streak in it for chasing the poor neons. Keep an eye on it,it gets very stressful for the neons and cardinals I have found. You may have to take him out. I think I posted about this before on the forum. Link attached.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...ew/id,41444/catid,5/

Gavin
Last edit: 23 Apr 2010 20:25 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
24 Apr 2010 08:34 #5 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Hi Gavin, that sounds like the very same behavior. Sorry that I missed your earlier post.

I am going to keep a close eye on the male, the neons are definitely stressed but at the same time seem to adapt more and more to the situation. It looks like they remember where to go and where not to go.

In the meanwhile I’ll prepare a small tank for the male to cool off in.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds