Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Anyone else out there breeding livebearers

More
21 May 2010 16:05 #1 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
Hi,
Any of u guys breeding livebearers,
I breed various guppies and some swords/platy...:)
Just wondering and if they do what kinds, it seems most guys and gals are into more exotic fish these days. Anyway looking forward to some replies...:)
Maybe i am not the only one.;)
Regards,
Denis...........................

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2010 18:59 #2 by Ma (mm mm)
Have started breeding, shrimp and now Potbellied Dalmation mollies. Just had the first spawn, not much to mollies, right water and watch em pop.

The male is all black and about 1/2 te size of the female, she is huge for a molly.

Will post a pic of the female in a bit, had a lovely wild swordtail female, green on top bottom and tail end black with a deep red stripe and a huge long flowing tail, died unfortunately before I got to get fry, still bugs me.

Mark

Location D.11

More
21 May 2010 19:05 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi Denis,
i love my livebearers!!!! do i have cut back big time, but will be getting back to them soon!
At the moment i only have a few platy, swordtails, a strain of Poecilia reticulata collected in 2005 columbia do i will have to check this again as i read recently that some of these were re named and a strain of Poecilia wingei.

i am hoping to get my hands on some stock from Adrian HD. my dream is to get either Anableps microlepis or Anableps anableps the later being my prefared

mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 May 2010 19:25 #4 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Re:Anyone else out there breeding livebearers
Yeah i used to breed mollies.. now i just breed guppies! I got my hands on some male endlers sadly i couldn't get females so iv been mixing endlers, guppies and a lyretail guppy. I have some very cool endler/guppy males.

More
21 May 2010 23:07 #5 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Always had a softspot for livebearers, recently got some gorgeous dwarf swordtails, looking forward to a batch from them anyday, also got some red tailed Limias, they look like the pattering of fins is a little way off yet though.

Other than that I have Limia melanogaster and one who's name completely escapes me at the moment, but they are tiny little guys and look like corydoras pygmeaus with whom they share a tank.

Daragh

More
21 May 2010 23:51 #6 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
Hi ALL,
Thanks for the responses i am amazed there are so many guys and gals breeding livebearers.
its great to know that there is still an interest in them and that they are just not starting off fish.Its hard to get the more unual livebearers i have read a lot about them but they never appear in the lfs.
I would be interested in any leads u guys might have.
Regards,
Denis..

More
21 May 2010 23:55 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
All except the swords came Purrrfect Pets, Longmile Rd, the melanogaster and the ones I still can't think of the name of are from a while ago, when it was Whackers but the Red Tailed Goodeids were there a week or two ago and they may still have some. I had never seen them here before.

Daragh

More
22 May 2010 00:31 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
At the moment i just have Heterandria formosa (i think that is the fish you were trying to think of Daragh), and a male Xiphophorus clemenciae. Sadly i lost the female.

Denis i have a list here from a breeder in the UK including about 30 not so common species.
If you are interested i will send you the list.
Just send me a PM after the show to remind me.

More
22 May 2010 09:48 #9 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
Thanks i certainly will pm u after the show.
Thanks again to u all.Good luck with the show, i hope to see some of u there.
Regards
Denis

More
22 May 2010 10:13 #10 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
will be looking out for you for sure!
mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
27 May 2010 22:18 #11 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
I missed most of u there.
But could only stay for a few hours
Hopefully i will be able to spend more time next year
Denis

More
28 May 2010 10:34 #12 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Hi Denis, I have a continuous population of pure endlers breeding, they are such a fantastic fish that my 4 year old is going to use them as her "show'n'tell".

I find though that my ratio is more favourable to females - maybe I need a more macho male :)

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
30 May 2010 17:49 #13 by Damien Conway (Damien Conway)
I have 3 female guppys and one male endler, but one female in particular is after dropping 3 batches of fry in the last couple of months, each one 3 weeks apart. I have about 40+ fry now if anybody is interested in them once they mature?:woohoo:

More
30 May 2010 18:03 #14 by dar (darren curry)
Andrew wrote:

I find though that my ratio is more favourable to females - maybe I need a more macho male :)

would altering the heat have any effect on that i wonder

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
30 May 2010 19:10 - 30 May 2010 19:12 #15 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Limia Melanogaster back in stock in Purrrfect Pets, Longmile Road.

www.flickr.com/photos/bluetit/2356678126

Daragh
Last edit: 30 May 2010 19:12 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).

More
30 May 2010 20:39 #16 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
Thanks Daragh,
Regards,
Denis

More
30 May 2010 22:32 - 30 May 2010 22:34 #17 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Here is another little livebearer I kept some time ago, can't rember where I got them and I don't have them anymore, but if you do find them, get about 4 females to each male. The males NEVER give it a rest, ten times worse than guppies or endlers.

www.flickr.com/photos/bluetit/2194160814/

Daragh
Last edit: 30 May 2010 22:34 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).

More
31 May 2010 04:12 #18 by Denis (Denis Goulding)
Nice looking fish , will keep my eyes peeled, thanks again Daragh

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds