Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

help im confused need help asap

More
19 Jun 2010 09:56 #1 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
i have mollies and platies in my tank and im not sure witch one it was but it looked ready to pop so i put her in the fish trap and she pushed out a few yellow balls like yellow eggs

she pushed out about 2 0r 3 of these yellow balls evey 5 minutes for the last half hour and still going

im confused cause i thought both these fsh are livebearers so whats going on is my fish ok and are the yellow balls eggs??????????

please get back to me asap

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2010 10:04 #2 by JohnH (John)
You have just witnessed the very reason why you should never move heavily gravid female livebearers.
They often abort through the stress of it.

What you have there are eggs, as yet unhatched within the female and ejected prematurely.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
19 Jun 2010 10:17 #3 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
does that mean they wont be bron she is still popping there is about twenty five eggs in the trap now.
should i put her back in the aquarium

More
19 Jun 2010 10:34 #4 by JohnH (John)
I don't think so, although it could be worth keeping the eggs in the trap - but don't hold out much hope of them hatching.

Leave the female for at least overnight to recuperate then return her to the tank, remembering not to make the same mistake next time.
My suspicion would be that this was a Molly? Female Mollys are more prone than Platys to abort if moved too late.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
20 Jun 2010 04:20 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
yep johns spot on here, can happen, wouldnt hold much hope for the eggs

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
01 Apr 2011 18:46 #6 by A1_aquarist (Aidan Dalton.)
Hi,shes had a miscarriage so to speak,Livebearer fry hatch inside their mother,and are then born ALWAYS free swimming,fully formed.Ur fish has just expelled unfertilised eggs,which are only good to feed her and others cos they are good source of protein. I find frozen bloodworm 3 times a week as an excellent conditioner,and will help in healthy egg production in females.You could try a new male also as other one could be infertile or have sperm defect? PH 7.5 also and u'll be selling fry in no time. Good luck bud. (Livebearer-bearing LIVE fry.)Cheers. A. :)

No mouth bigger than the smallest fish in tank.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds