Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

babies are born

More
02 Jul 2010 14:02 #1 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
I am glad to say that one of my females had babies they look like they are possibly a day or to old I didnt know what to do with them cause there is loads of guppies and mollies in the tank and i was afraid to leave them to eat the fry so I got all the adults in the big net and cleared out all the decor and used a small net to gather the fry and but them in the fish trap. I got 8 fry thats all I could see

is that ok was it the right thing to do?
I dropped a bit of liquifry in to the trap.
I have a smaller tank but its not yet cycled Im going to put stress coat into it and put the fry into the small tank. all though its not cycled it has been running for a week so far.

but then in that tank im afraid they will be sucked into the filter.

i really should have researched this more but i only have the adults a weeks or so really not prepared so any advice please share
thanks a lot lads
R2

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2010 14:31 #2 by dar (darren curry)
im sure you'l be fine, but see with them breeding traps and nets i believe ammonia could build up as there is no flow to remove it so watch your feeds and slowly pour a little tank water as a mini water change to flush stale water out, but your second tank should be up and running before long. have you used your established filter juice to boost it?

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
02 Jul 2010 14:54 #3 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
no i dont have anythin just stress coat which i will put in today and leave it for a day or 2 probably wrap tights around the filter to stop it sucking them up

More
02 Jul 2010 15:02 - 02 Jul 2010 15:04 #4 by dar (darren curry)
well 8 fry wont wont cause a biological warfare on your water, yes the tights is a good idea just make sure they are well rinsed oh and make sure you don't use her good ones, women tend to get fussy over the simplest of things especially destroying their clothing for your fish, i suggest you buy some

Last edit: 02 Jul 2010 15:04 by dar (darren curry).

More
02 Jul 2010 15:33 #5 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
ha i got some tights giving to me didnt have to steal them she has no intrest in fish but the babies seem to have swayed her a little she'll probably want 8 of her own now

will it be safe to turn the filter off till they grow a bit im pretty sure it was the molly that had the babies so how fast will the grow

More
02 Jul 2010 15:44 #6 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
I wouldn't say putting them into the small tank thats only cycled a week is a good idea id put them in a breedin net for a few weeks.

More
02 Jul 2010 15:51 - 02 Jul 2010 15:54 #7 by dar (darren curry)
well you could if you only added stress coat and no source of ammonia as the fry wont create enough ammonia to start the biological filtration but i'd run the filter wit tights so you have a start on it

Last edit: 02 Jul 2010 15:54 by dar (darren curry).

More
02 Jul 2010 15:59 #8 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
ive added the stress coat to the small tank and will put the tights on it later the add the fry in a day or 2 or else i could put the adults in the small tank and keep the fry alone in the bigger one less stress on them

More
02 Jul 2010 16:00 #9 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
oh and now that they are born what are there chances of surviving

More
02 Jul 2010 16:11 #10 by dar (darren curry)
mate lets not put a downer on it wit survival percentages, lets look forward to them all surviving.

try get some pics/vids up as they progress

More
02 Jul 2010 16:12 #11 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
They will survive once you get them into another tank. But keep an eye out for more babies look in every corner of the tank i found ten guppies in my tank 3 months ago kept them in a breedin net for about a month then put them back in the tank there doing great now.

More
02 Jul 2010 16:38 #12 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
cheers mate thanks for your help

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds