Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What would you never be without

More
18 Sep 2013 10:58 #1 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
What fishkeeping items would you not be without?
Apart from aquariums, filters, heaters, lights, fish etc.... :whistle:
For me its a Gravel Cleaner, Spare heater and Impellers, Airpump, Basic Meds, Testkits, Easylife FFM and Ammolock

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2013 11:20 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Largish plastic containers.....in case a tank breaks !!

Water conditioner; molecular sieves or similar (eg ammonia removing zeolites, PolyFilter); spare filters (small ones).

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
18 Sep 2013 12:24 #3 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Yeah largish plastic containers would be handy. Lids would be good so you could also use for transporting fish.

Always handy to have some egg crate around.

I know ya said no filters but it's always handy to have a spare fx5 around like we've seen in the past. Have to get my hands on a spare one myself.

Medicine for ich and other things that might pop up

And as always, some monster fish :) , oh and maybe an indoor tropical pond

More
18 Sep 2013 13:09 #4 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

Yeah largish plastic containers would be handy. Lids would be good so you could also use for transporting fish.

Always handy to have some egg crate around.

I know ya said no filters but it's always handy to have a spare fx5 around like we've seen in the past. Have to get my hands on a spare one myself.

Medicine for ich and other things that might pop up

And as always, some monster fish :) , oh and maybe an indoor tropical pond

and you forgot herself for the breakfast !!

More
18 Sep 2013 14:17 #5 by JohnH (John)
Nice little thread, lighthearted but with a serious undertone, thanks for starting this one Crusty.
I'm wracking what's left of my brain to come up with one definitive item - there really are lots of 'must-haves'.
I suppose one thing I really couldn't do without must be my RO unit (pump's making a dreadful racket, I think I'll need to save up for a replacement one day soon).

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
18 Sep 2013 15:16 #6 by m4r10 (m4r10)
After struggling for a long time with plastic drums for water changes, I can't imagine what life would be without the pump which is doing the most of the water change for me. On top of that, I already sold the drums so I'll be fecked if the pump breaks down :crazy:

More
18 Sep 2013 15:21 #7 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

More
18 Sep 2013 16:24 #8 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Good thread, hard choices..

I have to go with the spares; heater & air pump (preferably with a seeded sponge filter) but I'm also very fond of my turkey baster.

Andreas

More
18 Sep 2013 18:28 #9 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
The love of a good woman... and sponge filters :whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
18 Sep 2013 18:36 #10 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
I would never be without my OH, because my house would be full of tanks only for her...............wait... hold on a minute!!! :evil:

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
19 Sep 2013 06:30 #11 by Homer (Kevin)
Fish Antibiotics like Metronidazole and meds lie Levamisole , bloody Government!! I have to get my sister to send them to me from the USA !

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
19 Sep 2013 08:02 #12 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Ye same I suppose, large bucket, and I kind of freak out if my water conditioner is less than a half bottle :/

Freezer always has a back up of food i.e.; bloodworms brine shrimp etc. (missus not to happy)..

Oh and the simplest of all a tank scrubber like a little sponge always have them on back up..

Stephen M.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
25 Nov 2014 11:36 #13 by JohnH (John)
I was looking back at some previous posts and thought this one might be worth resurrecting, in the light of the new influx of Forum members.

I guess, for me, it would still have to be my RO unit, although when my 'new' rainwater system gets finished this might just become redundant - or at least become confined to backup status.

It will be interesting to read comments from others - who knows, a year on priorities may have changed?

John.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 Nov 2014 19:08 - 25 Nov 2014 19:08 #14 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Plastic tubs . They're great for quarantine and for growing on fry. Very cheap as well.
Sponge filters. I always keep a couple of sponges in the main tank just in case
Catappa leaves. Can never be without

Eric
Last edit: 25 Nov 2014 19:08 by Eric (Eric Corcoran).

More
25 Nov 2014 20:43 #15 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Buckets
airline for water changes
Ro unit
Conductivity meter

Anthony

More
19 Jun 2016 11:09 #16 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
A really good, strong padlock on the inside of my fish room so I can sit in peace and quiet :cool:
Bill

More
19 Jun 2016 12:23 #17 by robert (robert carter)
My back up heaters , pumps and filters so i can relax knowinng if something goes bang i have a back up

More
19 Jun 2016 12:45 #18 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
My ro system, backup pumps and heaters and a 210L water butt full of ro water in case.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds