Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

ich?

More
14 Aug 2011 10:02 #1 by fishmama (Maria Kennedy)
Hello everybody,
so... I got this two betta fish (veil tail), housed each in a 30 liter tank, going now on third week. They are active and eat, but this morning I saw one of the two covered whith white little spots all over the body and fins, like sprinkles of salt, no fuzzyness, could it be itch? or something else?
The product most recommended on searches is 'aquari-sol' do i find it in ireland? anything else? I have handy Melafix, could I start to use this till i get a more appropriate med? Or is that just fine?
I have other tanks with goldfish, white minnows, danios, tetra, barbs and endlers, should I treat all the tanks just in case I spreaded the disease all around? :-((
Also how much aquarium salt should I add to the water for bettas (and should I also add it to the other tanks?)
tx a lot!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2011 10:30 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Replied by igmillichip (ian millichip) on topic ich?
Do you have any close-up pictures? (before recommending anything)

Some keepers have claimed that they experinve 'velvet' disease with siamese fighters (I've never had that in my fighter tanks though).

I've not heard of that product you mention, but there are plenty of white-spot and velvet cures on the market and available here.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
14 Aug 2011 12:41 #3 by fishmama (Maria Kennedy)
Replied by fishmama (Maria Kennedy) on topic ich?
Just tried to get some pics, but my camera is not doing a good job, and the macro doesn't work anymore, so I'm sorry to say... NO pics available. :angry:

Looking at pics around I'd say it could be ich, what now?

More
14 Aug 2011 12:47 #4 by fishmama (Maria Kennedy)
Replied by fishmama (Maria Kennedy) on topic ich?
sorry... should have been 'ich' NOT itch

More
14 Aug 2011 13:16 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Replied by igmillichip (ian millichip) on topic ich?
eSHa Exit is one of the safest to use for white-spot.

I don't know if you have any other fish in the tank, but if you have clown loaches and other 'scaleless' fish then you'd need to check the dosing for each brand of medicine in case you have such fish.

For siamese fighters the temperature should be 80F and that will help the medication work.

Really, you need to get to grips with sorting out white-spot completely.
Keep corners cleaned, and make sure there is a reasonable amount of water movement within the corners and cavities of the tank.

Each medicine has its own dosing regimen....some are a simple 3 day dose, others doing several dosings over a period. Simply follow the instructions of the medicine of choice.

You can't kill the parasite on the fish without killing the fish; the medication kills the parasite when it leaves the fish during the parasites normal life-cycle. Hence, don't assume that when the spots disappear that the problem has gone.

One advantage of eSHa Exit is that it can be mixed with certain other eSHa medication (such as eSHa 2000)...but you can't do that with many other medications (especially as we are not sure if you have white-spot or velvet).

ian

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2011 13:20 - 14 Aug 2011 13:21 #6 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: ich?
Title changed - It was itching at me ! :lol:

eSHA is brilliant ! Well recommended.

Valerie
Last edit: 14 Aug 2011 13:21 by Valerie (Valerie).

More
14 Aug 2011 13:52 #7 by DJK (David Kinsella)
Replied by DJK (David Kinsella) on topic Re: ich?
eSHa Exit treats both white spot and velvet.

I use Protozin and find it pretty good. It also treats both white spot and velvet.

Whatever brand you decide to use make sure you you read the instructions carefully a few times over to be sure you're treating correctly. Also remove any carbon from your filter(if used) and all hopefully will be well.

I wouldn't 'jump the gun' and go treating your other tanks but would take precautions re-cross contamination. Use a jug or spare syphon when doing water changes on your 30l tank.

Dave

More
14 Aug 2011 14:17 #8 by donohoe (Andrew Donohoe)
Replied by donohoe (Andrew Donohoe) on topic Re: ich?
I would agree it more than likely is ich. I would also second using ESHA, they are really good treatments really easy dosing cant go wrong. For ich you would use ESHA exit, it can also be safely used with ESHA 2000 if you dont know what is wrong as a wide general treatment. Seeing as it is more than likely ich use ESHA exit or similar ich and velvet treatment.

More
14 Aug 2011 15:28 #9 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

ICH first attacks the fins, so the 90% that the disease :S
cheers
chris

ps
eSHA, if I remember correctly, it can kill the shrimp (if they are in the aquarium)

Any crustacean is sensitive to medications, but eSHa Exit would be on the safer side compared to the many white-spot meds that contain such things as copper.
The other ingredients are also found in many other brands.

Personally, I've never come across white-spot in any of my siamese fighters (and that is a lot of fighting fish to go with that).

So, I would be wondering why the fighter has succumb to this infection.

ian

More
14 Aug 2011 16:23 #10 by fishmama (Maria Kennedy)
Replied by fishmama (Maria Kennedy) on topic Re: ich?
The betta are quite new (about two weeks), are kept by themselves in 30 l. tank with 2 plants each, no gravel, air filter.

I'm giving them frozen brine shrimps (which they love) and dry-freezed tubifex (which they don't like too much).

I noticed snails in the tank with the diseased betta fish (?)

Tx to all for your replies, hope he'll get better!

More
30 Aug 2011 10:48 #11 by fishmama (Maria Kennedy)
Replied by fishmama (Maria Kennedy) on topic Re: ich?
Ok, so my red betta died a couple of days ago.

What I did:
got him specific meds for ich, & follow instructions to a t. the day after the first dosage the ich completely disappeared , just to come back with a vengeance 24 hrs later (he was still under medication), from that point on was down the hill, he got covered by spots, and stopped eating, the next day died.

May be the betta's immune system was already compromise, or was an old fish (even though i just bought it) or ???
Anyway, now I have to clean up the tank from this parasite, what do i do to make sure i can safely use for another fish? The tank is now empty of fish, I have there 2 plants and a couple of snails.

I have so far raised the temperature to 32 degrees (it seems that ich is sensitive to high temps.?).
I do not think I can keep this temp for long, I wouldn't want to kill plants and poor little snails.

What else?

vinegar?

tx in advance

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds