Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

dwarf gourami problems

More
03 Nov 2012 00:59 #1 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Hi all,
I have a planted tank play sand substrate well washed, going about 8months now its 120ltr fluval 205 external filter and a eheim HOB filter,i have a co2 reactor, live stock is 4 glass cat fish,4 harlequins, 7 cardinal tetra, 2 pearl danios, 1 amano shrimp, 6 otto's,3 pepper cory cats and 2 male dwarf gourami one cobalt blue and one red and blue stripes. MY problem is that i'm having trouble keeping 2 male dwarf gourami alive have lost 2 in the past couple of months other one seems fine they dont fight or push each other about? no other fatalities at all in other fish, have had water tested in lfs as well as monitoring myself never any issues there as i change water 25/30% each week with collected rain water. any help out there please suggestions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2012 20:10 #2 by sagwadloup (serge aphanacieff)
Change 10 % every 2 weeks, with water at same temperature as fish tank. Glass cat fish have nothing to do in ur tank; get 6 danios, 6 harlequins. What are 'otto'( Botia) ?. U have too many fish in ur tank. Amano shrimps should be kept by 6 to. minimum size is 300 litres for what u have.

More
27 Dec 2012 22:22 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)
i don't think he's overloaded the tank at all and weekly changes are fine ( 3 of my tanks get 25% w/c's twice a week).
how do you prepare your collected rain water? when it comes to community fish there seems to be alot of weak fish out there.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
28 Dec 2012 00:33 #4 by Tigger (Abe Bardez)
I think by 'Ottos' Jim is referring to the harmless Otocinclus...

as per www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=3962

Whether you call them cascudinhos, ohrgitterwelse, ottos, dwarf suckermouths, algae scrapers or goblin plecs, catfishes of the genus Otocinclus are known the world over

More
28 Dec 2012 00:42 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic dwarf gourami problems
I hate to bring this up (yet again) but the quality of some of the (nowadays) delicate fish coming from the far East really leaves an awful lot to be desired.
The longevity of European-bred Dwarf Gouramis (and Rams, co-incidentally) is so much better - and I'm not referring to a certain European (who shall remain nameless) exporter who imports far-Eastern fish and then sells them on as being 'European-bred' fish!

I get an awful feeling that we have covered this topic with you before?

My advice is still the same, if the shop cannot assure you that they are European-bred, then don't buy them.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
28 Dec 2012 00:51 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I'm with JohnH on this.....and, yep, it has been in discussion in recent times.

Unless the water changes are way too shocking for the fish (eg dropping in cold water), I do not see an overstocked tank.
I'm not too sure that a lone shrimp would decide to kill off a male dwarf gourami even if it did get bored of not being in a group.

As with JohnH.....the stocks of dwarf gourami are pretty crap in general.

Aggression between dwarf gourami will not help.....even females can be a bit too pushy. You may find that the danio are better competitors for food than a not-so-well gourami (but a healthy gourami would be hard to beat when it comes to intercepting food).

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds