Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

thinking about doing a large (ish ) betta tank

More
28 Jan 2013 22:25 #1 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
I love betta's , had one a few years ago , but only in small 15 litre . I now have a spare 90 and would love to do a nice betta set up . I also would love to try and have some tetras in with him , neons probably .

so a couple of questions :

1) Is a 90 too big for the betta ?
2) am i mad even considering neons at all ? if so is there a better option in a small slim bodied fish I should look at to plonk in there ?
3) and whats the best way to go about filtering and aerating a community tank with a betta ?

many thanks for any and all help with this ( potential ) project ..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2013 12:46 #2 by theangryman (chris)
bmcg38

I`ve had a male Betta in a 125L tank for about 2 months now and no problems,he`s in with Neons, Rummynose, Shrimp and a few baby Goldfish. Sometimes he might make a run for a shrimp but they`re well able to get out of his way.
Let us know how it goes

Check out my youtube link below, shows the tank

Chris

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

More
29 Jan 2013 13:09 #3 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

bmcg38

I`ve had a male Betta in a 125L tank for about 2 months now and no problems,he`s in with Neons, Rummynose, Shrimp and a few baby Goldfish. Sometimes he might make a run for a shrimp but they`re well able to get out of his way.
Let us know how it goes

Check out my youtube link below, shows the tank

Chris

thanks .. I think my main concern is filtration and aeration , any tips ?

More
29 Jan 2013 16:10 #4 by theangryman (chris)
No bother, the tank I have them in has a diy trickle filter which dosent have too many fans here :dry: and a spray bar to give plenty of water movment for aeration, so maybe I`ll let a few others give there ideas, as I say keep us informed

Chris

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

More
29 Jan 2013 18:32 #5 by dubdero (derek kearns)
I had one with 20 haraquins and 8 small loaches everything was fine go for it .it was 125 litre I'd go with betta and shoal of harlequins

More
29 Jan 2013 19:53 #6 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

I had one with 20 haraquins and 8 small loaches everything was fine go for it .it was 125 litre I'd go with betta and shoal of harlequins

mrs wants neons .. surely they cant be THAT bad can they ? harlies are great , have 8 in another tank , may go with them alright , we'll see ...

Do i need to keep the flow rate very slow , with little surface movement for the betta . If so how do I get good aeration etc for the school of whatever we put in with him ?

More
29 Jan 2013 20:34 #7 by davey_c (dave clarke)
don't get me wrong because anythings always worth a shot but its my understanding that a betta will do better in nano's than it would in anything bigger ;)
just make sure he doesn't feel too exposed or anything like that and floating plants might be a welcomed addition along with maybe some floating twiggs...

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
29 Jan 2013 21:59 #8 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

don't get me wrong because anythings always worth a shot but its my understanding that a betta will do better in nano's than it would in anything bigger ;)
just make sure he doesn't feel too exposed or anything like that and floating plants might be a welcomed addition along with maybe some floating twiggs...

always thought that , however have had a couple of conversations lately that contradict that generally held belief ..

More
29 Jan 2013 22:34 #9 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
It was my understanding that they live in paddy fields and ditches.
So shallow and densely planted ?

More
29 Jan 2013 22:53 #10 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

It was my understanding that they live in paddy fields and ditches.
So shallow and densely planted ?

depending on the time of year they can be found in puddles or lakes

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds