Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Mixing bettas with Endlers

More
04 Feb 2013 14:28 #1 by Oto (Ed)
Just got a new male fighting fish today. He seems to be settling into the new tank OK. When I say seems to be I mean to say he's incredibly happy hunting down and eating the youngest endlers I have in the tank. I thought I'd put this experience out there. After this I won't be recommending anyone to mix bettas with any small fry no matter how fast they are.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2013 14:43 #2 by JohnH (John)
Bettas are predators after all - and will eat anything which will fit in the mouth. Small (especially newly-bred) livebearers don't stand much of a chance I'm afraid.
More refuges for the fry to hide in until they can learn that most larger fish will eat them if they catch them. Eventually they will 'wise up' and take more evasive action, but even the parent livebearers will eat any they can catch but their's is a more 'opportune' approach, they'll often grab one passing by - but rarely will they chase any for very long, unlike a true predator (and, believe me, Bettas aren't the worst of them!).

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Feb 2013 15:41 #3 by Oto (Ed)
Replied by Oto (Ed) on topic Mixing bettas with Endlers
I didn't think bettas would be fast enough to chase down Endler fry. He seems to be employing more ambush tactics or else forcing the target against an object. As it is he seems to like hanging around any refuges that there are in the aquarium. However he only seems vaguely interested in the RCS I have in the tank which I find a bit counter intuative.

On another note I have yet to see any of the adult Endlers predating on the young. However I did once see one of the juveniles struggling to keep another smaller fry in its mouth.

More
04 Feb 2013 15:45 #4 by JohnH (John)
You're right - Bettas, being pretty sedentary creatures have to - as you say - use an 'ambush' ploy, but they're pretty adept at it, aren't they?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Feb 2013 16:26 #5 by Oto (Ed)
Replied by Oto (Ed) on topic Mixing bettas with Endlers
I was a bit surprised given they are so visible but this betta anyway seems quite good at ambush

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds