Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Betta Macrostoma VF Wild catch

More
20 Feb 2013 10:13 - 20 Feb 2013 10:14 #1 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Hey all life has been mad of late have not been posting in an age :-O

Though a few here would be interested in my new male betta macrostoma.

I have a pair of them.The female was in hidding when i was snapping a shot but i will get a pic and post as

soon as i get the chance.

I also have another female in a friends tank being conditioned at the minute incase anything will happen my

other female.

Very excited to get the pair breeding have been waiting nearly a year to get my hands on this fish as they

are next to impossible to get here in norway.

Currently in the process of setting a 112 litre tank for the pair to breed in :-)

Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 10:14 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2013 10:17 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Beautiful looking fish,
Is it me or does it look quite like a killifish?

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
20 Feb 2013 10:47 #3 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Cracking fish, well worth the wait I say :cheer:

260l South American Community tank

More
20 Feb 2013 10:55 #4 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
yes it has a simular look so it does alright :-)
But this particular betta is a mouth brooder.The male holds the eggs for up to a month or so and releases as free swimming fry.

More
20 Feb 2013 11:00 #5 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Great stuff
Best of luck with them!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
20 Feb 2013 11:22 #6 by JohnH (John)

Very excited to get the pair breeding have been waiting nearly a year to get my hands on this fish as they
are next to impossible to get here in norway.

Believe me, wild caught Macros are pretty-nigh impossible to get in Ireland too. Sadly my female expired but I have a replacement on order...

When yours breed the male needs total peace and quiet - mine bred every few weeks but never once did the male keep the eggs for more than 24 hours (even in a totally 'blacked-out' tank) as I'm sure he would regard the eggs to be a welcome change from aquatic food. Breeding is a totally fascinating process to watch - but you'll discover this yourself shortly I expect.

I sincerely hope you have more success with them than I ever managed (in the light of what was just written, perhaps it's a new male I'm needing as well!), please keep us informed.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
20 Feb 2013 13:57 - 20 Feb 2013 14:02 #7 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Yes they need allot of quiet and lots of pipes and hiding places.
There is only one person in norway to have breed them.
I set the tank up for them today with the decor now and will let it settle have some guppies in there they can eat when i add them.
I will feed them white worms,live dalphina ,live shrimp, red larve and beef heart allong with some discus.
The female was added to te male in the holding tank today and he was showing off straight away.I also have a sub dominant female that is hiding in there but she will stay in this tank on her own once i move the other pair on friday.All water tests were good today :-)

sub dominant female

dominant female

male today displaying for female

tank should be clear tomorrow for nicer pic

i have pvc tubing for hiding and many caves

The pictures are not the best off my phone.

Will get the camera out when all is ready and fish are in.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 14:02 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor).

More
20 Feb 2013 14:29 #8 by JohnH (John)
I wish you all the very best of luck, certainly more than I had.
Added to your feed list mine really loved earthworms best of all.

John

ITFS member.

More
20 Feb 2013 17:05 #9 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I will keep that in mind :-) i need to start my white worm culture tomorrow :-) i hope the man i am getting it off is available. He has been tough to get this week.I am sure i will have to take some time before i get any fry if i get any at all he he.But sure if i dont try i dont get :-)
What was the ph in the tank you were breeding them in?
This can be a reason for the male also swallowing the eggs if it is not to his satisfaction.
7 ph was what they were successfully bred at here in norway ,with a water temp of 24 c 0 5ppm no3 zero ammonia and no2 as we know is a must.dh 10

More
20 Feb 2013 17:41 #10 by JohnH (John)
I tried all manner of variations - from rainwater, water straight from the R/O (treated and untreated) to water straight from the well (and everything in between)...obviously no ammonia or nitrite, as you so rightly say, sometimes the nitrate crept up a little, but my frequent water changes were able to keep this in check.
I had actually abandoned any hope, especially after losing the female, but now a replacement's on the horizon and your post have prompted me into trying (yet) again.

John

ITFS member.

More
20 Feb 2013 18:20 #11 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Mega cool animal.

Not often available here, and when they are the prices are simply stupid......especially as you could be paying silly money for a fish that find a crack a thousand times smaller than itself to jump through.

Keep us informed on how you get on.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
20 Feb 2013 19:45 #12 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
from what i have read the less water changes you do when the male is holding the better as you only disturb him.When i move in a few months i will have a new setup with automatic water changes each day from a big holing container 1000 litre that i will have filled with rain water i hope and seen as i live in one of the wettest places in the world bergen i should be good to fill it :-)I am sure i will have to try lots of different methods and still may have no luck at all:-O
dont worry ian i asure you there will be no places for the fish to jump out i have every hole where the filters and wires go out filled with socks :-) unless he manages to get stuck on the light i should be good he he:-) you have me thinking now should i put a gaurd around it :-)
Des

More
21 Feb 2013 11:26 #13 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
As promised a few snaps of the tank :-) its fully ready for the pair to move into tomorrow :-)
I am chuffed to bits with it.Just covered the sides with black paper today add more plants and some moss balls to help with no3.

enjoy

More
21 Feb 2013 13:01 #14 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
The tank looks great best of luck and keep us updated

More
21 Feb 2013 13:45 #15 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Will do i am going to collect the fish later from the holding tank they are in now :-)
I am sure they will be shy for a few days until they settle in :-)
Des

More
21 Feb 2013 16:39 - 25 Feb 2013 13:51 #16 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Finally after all the waiting and setting up i collected the fish from my other holding tank today :-)

They seem to be doing great in there and no signs of stress and are out and about swimming.

The male has been showing off to the female since i let them go into the tank after acclimatising them.

Man do i love this fish how beautiful the male is and he is some show off :-)

Last edit: 25 Feb 2013 13:51 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor). Reason: mistake

More
21 Feb 2013 17:35 #17 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
They definitely live up to their name (macro=very large in scope or scale, stoma=mouth) their mouths are huge in comparisson to their head :laugh: ! Absolute beauts though.

More
21 Feb 2013 19:05 #18 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Its hard to leave the room they are in they are doing the dance i would like to get a video if they breed.
At least i will see it happen before he eats the eggs he he

More
21 Feb 2013 20:37 #19 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
love love love the tank setup :cool:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
22 Feb 2013 07:09 #20 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Thats the bit i like trying to make a place where they will feel at home :-)

More
22 Feb 2013 12:59 #21 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'm a big fan of natural looking setups. Don't get me wrong, 'scaped tanks can look awesome... but sometimes it's nice to see a tank that resembles something the fish might have called home

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
22 Feb 2013 13:12 #22 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
yes i prefer tanks that look not as pretty but more natural :-)
My male has been showing off for the female this morning.

yes glass needs cleaning on the to do list.

Awaiting female to get her stripes back as she had in the holding tank i imagine she needs a week or so to get settled in.

More
22 Feb 2013 14:55 #23 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
WOW :woohoo: they look great in the tank!!!

More
22 Feb 2013 22:30 #24 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
They are not eating today at all though so i am not sure what is going on with them.Maybe they are still settling in.I have tried a few foods but nothing.I will have to vacum the tank tomorrow to keep it spotless.
I just hope they start eating normally they eat anything you give them.there are some guppy fry i could not catch left in the tank so maybe they have been munching on them.

More
23 Feb 2013 17:26 #25 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
It seems to be on today :-) the female has got her strips back and is flirting with the male all day long.

Looks like they like the new pots i added yesterday :-)

More
24 Apr 2013 22:02 #26 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Looks fantastic Des.
One of my favourite fish and on my wish list. Best of luck with the breeding
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
24 Apr 2013 22:54 - 24 Apr 2013 23:06 #27 by JohnH (John)

Looks fantastic Des.
One of my favourite fish and on my wish list. Best of luck with the breeding
Andrew

Andrew,
If you follow this tale in another thread from Ceech you will see that - sadly - he lost the pair and also temporarily, we hope, interest in fishkeeping.
I'll have a search for the link.

John

Here is the Male died link
www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...male-mac-dead#144195
Female poorly (later died)
www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...nge-behaviour#143974
Female died
www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...y-female-died#144149

This is very close to my heart as, after a long time trying (and being let down with promises of a female Macro which never materialised) I finally bought a replacement female - only to have it die before the week was out!

ITFS member.

Last edit: 24 Apr 2013 23:06 by JohnH (John). Reason: Added a little more myself, explaining my interest in the scenario.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds