Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

The male has dissapeared

More
04 Mar 2013 17:12 #1 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I have not seen my male Macrostroma in 6 days now should i get worried or is there a chance he is holding.I really want to look around tank but everything says to me to stay away and wait some more days i dont see him floating.Only the female is coming out to feed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2013 17:53 #2 by JohnH (John)
Sounds promising, I'm sure you'd know by now if the male had 'popped his clogs' either by finding his corpse or by an increase in ammonia levels (or even a bit of a 'pong', they aren't the smallest of fish, after all).
Fingers firmly crossed for you, I hope you soon have some baby Macros to show us.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Mar 2013 18:10 #3 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Lets hope John :-) no pong off the tank at all and the female is eating really well.I am trying my best to stay away from the tank for now.With a little luck i may get some fry but sure if not i can always try again.

More
04 Mar 2013 18:24 #4 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
I have some Morpho tetras which i haven't seen for more than four months till a few days ago i spotted two!

The tanks only two foot! :blink:

More
04 Mar 2013 18:41 #5 by joey (joe watson)

I have some Morpho tetras which i haven't seen for more than four months till a few days ago i spotted two!

The tanks only two foot! :blink:

lol, i have a few catfish i haven't seen for nearly a year! the pictus has only just started to come out and cruise the last month or so

More
04 Mar 2013 18:54 #6 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Jeees a year! that's mad joey i put eight of those Morpho's in and never seen the eight again only in ones and till the other days twos!
It's a pity because there probably one of my favorites..

More
04 Mar 2013 21:40 #7 by joey (joe watson)
yup same here - upside-down cat's can sometimes been seen for a short while when feeding, raphael cat has disappeared in a den its made for itself and its my fave cat next to the pictus which was at least 3 months hidden until recently. i need some night light there like red tubes to see the nocturnal fish at something like 4am

More
04 Mar 2013 22:27 #8 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I really want to find him but if he is holding eggs he is best left in silence so he does not swallow them :-) lets hope John is right :-)I fed the female there and not a sign of him in the tank at all.Mind you i have pipes and caves covered with plants that i cant see in at all so maybe he is in one of them.

More
04 Mar 2013 22:56 #9 by joey (joe watson)
if his body is not drifting around then he's just hiding somewhere. do you have pipes for and external caged off so he's not sucked into them?

More
04 Mar 2013 22:59 #10 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
No all the pipes have space for them to go in and out easily other than covered with java moss

More
04 Mar 2013 23:10 #11 by joey (joe watson)
did you check inside your external filter then?

More
04 Mar 2013 23:14 #12 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
sorry misread what you said its an internal filter in the tank and eheim.The pipes i have in the tank or for caves and they can go in and out both sides.I guess he is just hiding out holding eggs i hope.If i dont see him in 25 days i will get worried then.I would be depressed if he was dead waited so long to get them , mind you i can get more now as a new source has been found in the wild.

More
04 Mar 2013 23:27 #13 by joey (joe watson)
aye he must be holding. i had leleupi spawn so many times i never knew i only had 2 rocks in a 100l tank and didn't see fry until i sold the pair and moved the rock lol

More
05 Mar 2013 00:11 #14 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
lol very cool :-) fingers crossed i would love some Macro fry cha ching over here easy 100 euro each i will get :-) or more :-) aside from the money i just want to breed them such beautiful fish.

More
05 Mar 2013 11:17 #15 by JohnH (John)
Here's a link I was sent showing them breeding - I always wanted to try to capture this on video, but as mine were in such a dark tank I could never achieve it, anyway this shows the process very plainly...

Warning, musical accompaniment is rather loud so you might want to lower the volume.

John

ITFS member.

More
05 Mar 2013 15:46 #16 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Beautiful video John lets hope i can catch this some day.I fear my male swallowed due to my stupity :-(

More
05 Mar 2013 15:54 #17 by JohnH (John)
On the recommendation of the man I bought mine from I kept them in 'twilight' and was never able to have enough illumination to video them.
Somewhere, though I do have some footage of my Channoides spawning - I'll try to find it.

John

ITFS member.

More
05 Mar 2013 15:58 #18 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I think i have enough plants on the surface now to kill out allot of the light but maybe i should buy a moon light and give it a try .

More
13 Mar 2013 19:20 #19 by arabu1973 (. .)
Interesting setup in the video, bare bottom and only few plastic pipes, and the fish breed in that setup :huh:

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds