Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

amazing snakehead

More
30 Sep 2013 10:23 #1 by paulv (paul vickers)
I have to tell ye all this amazing thing that just happened to me. Last nite about 2am our house dog started barking, woke us up, thinking she was barking at a wild cat outside I got up and let her out. Few mins ago I started to clean my big tank and on the floor I see my 16inch snake head :ohmy: , her skin was totaly try I was sure she was dead but hell no, I went to pick her up and she wriggled away like mad so I put her back in the tank , now she is behaving like nothing happened. If it was her the dog was barking at then she was out of water for 9 hours. Is this possible for a labyrinth fish to survive on a carpet for 9hours. If so, then what truely amazing fish snakeheads are.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2013 10:42 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Wouldn't be the first time I've heard a story like this. It's one of the things that makes them such a dangerous, invasive species in the US; a big mouthed predator that can get from lake to lake overland! :ohmy:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
30 Sep 2013 10:49 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)
I know about their ability to travel short distances over grass where its wet but to totaly dry out on a carpet. Im impressed by that.

More
30 Sep 2013 11:14 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I think grass just makes it easier ;)

I've heard another story about a few being kept in a container in a restaurant for cooking and the owner finding them in the alleyway behind the kitchen several hours later. They really are badasses

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
30 Sep 2013 11:18 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Luv em or hate em you gotta admire their ability to survive. Do you know any good snake head recipies :whistle:

More
30 Sep 2013 11:21 #6 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic amazing snakehead
Yeah they are really cool

More
30 Sep 2013 11:38 #7 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Amazing survival abilities, thanks for sharing the story!

Andreas

More
30 Sep 2013 12:05 #8 by paulv (paul vickers)
She is a real escape artist, few months back she damaged her head bashing against the tank lid, now when she swims she leans over to the right, her personality has changed, lost her aggression and vibrant colour and feeding her is a labour of love for me. Do I get special prize for minding the only mentally retarted snake head in captivity.

More
30 Sep 2013 12:06 #9 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Luv em or hate em you gotta admire their ability to survive. Do you know any good snake head recipies :whistle:

I'd be worried that his snakehead buddies would come looking for revenge

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds