Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Male Betta Sickness

More
29 Oct 2013 18:42 - 29 Oct 2013 18:43 #1 by theangryman (chris)
Hello Everybody

I`ve had a male Betta for about a year now in my 125L planted tank, about 3-4 days ago he started laying on a piece of floating driftwood I have in the tank and staying there for hours on end like he was dead but if I open the cover he swims off for a few mins and then back to the floating timber. I tested the water and all results are the same as normal for this tank, as I say this is a well established tank and there have not been any additions or changes to the setup or feeding.Today I noticed one of his eyes seems to be bulging and he has moved to the bottom of the tank, just sitting there not moving.

Any ideas or help, feel sorry for the poor guy :-( :-(

Chris

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...
Last edit: 29 Oct 2013 18:43 by theangryman (chris).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2013 19:12 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The fish may be either on the way out due to old age, or have a general bacterial infection, or specifically have fish TB.

The least you can do is to do a careful partial water change and dose with an off-the-shelf anitibiotic such as Octozin.

Review the feeding as well to include some live food (eg bloodworms) for a short while to help get it interested in life.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
29 Oct 2013 19:16 #3 by theangryman (chris)
Thanks Ian

How would he get Fish TB after all this time being a fine healthy happy fish, could this be passed on to the other fish in the tank
I did a 50% water change yesterday,will keep an eye on him

Chris

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

More
29 Oct 2013 19:29 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Male siamese fighters would not be described as long-livers in all honesty.
You probably have no idea how old it was when you got it.
Although may do OK for a few years, 18 months to 2 years and things can start to go downhill for many.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds