Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Help- I wrecked the bubblenest!

More
14 Jan 2014 21:03 #1 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
After four months, Nick, my little Siamese fighter, blew a bubblenest. When I arrived home from seeing in the new year at 11am, there was the cute little raft of bubbles in the middle of all the floating plants. Happy fishkeeping new year to meeeeee!!!!!!! :)

I have been really careful doing the last two water changes, so as not to disturb Nick and his bubbles, but this morning I droped the **** algae scraper and completely obliterated the bubblenest- like it was never there! I know, I know- I am a complete flipin' idiot!!

12 hours later, there is no apparent sign of "reconstruction". Will he rebuild in his own good time, or should I be doing something to encourage him? I don't have any females and I'm not interested in breeding, but I understood that blowing a bubblenest is healthy/a sign of health. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks all!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2014 23:56 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
There's no benefit to him building a bubble nest if there is no female.....it simply wastes energy (and males need to save as much energy as possible).

So...if he built a nest and it was destroyed then there is really no spilt milk to cry over if there are no women around (so to speak)

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
15 Jan 2014 00:06 #3 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
I appreciate the help. Thank you very much.

If it's not a totally stupid question, (yea, that'd make a change!) is there a particular reason that males need to save as much energy as possible?

Thanks!

More
15 Jan 2014 00:26 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Siamese Fighters are not exactly the longest lived fish.
Males tend to be shorter lived than females.......and part of that could well be put down to the shear energy used by males during breeding and caring for the young (that is a very intense period)
Building a nest uses energy.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds