Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Wild Bettas

More
11 May 2014 15:22 #1 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Hi all,
Just wondering if there is many people on the forum keeping and breeding any type of wild bettas ? I have a real interest in wild bettas especially ones from the coccina complex. I have a pair of wild caught Brownorums which spawned a few times over the last 2 months or so. I'm hoping to add to the collection over the coming months so i would love to hear from people with different species and to see if people are interested in maybe swaping different pairs if they have excess fry.
Here's a picture of my male B. Brownorum

Thanks Eric
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2014 21:42 #2 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Beautiful fish mate. Sorry but i know nothing about Bettas except that i had one many years ago.

More
11 May 2014 22:02 #3 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Stunning fish Eric.

Anthony

More
12 May 2014 06:41 #4 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic Wild Bettas
Thats a real beauty eric, lovely bright eyes. Try the sponsors listed here, many of them can order fish for customers.

More
12 May 2014 15:43 #5 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Wild Bettas
Stunning fish Eric........I read your thread over on another forum on these and it was very informative and really really interesting.

Maybe you could post on here a little bit more about keeping these? thanks :)

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
12 May 2014 16:27 - 12 May 2014 16:29 #6 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic Wild Bettas
Thanks for the comments guys

@paulv I was talking to John in seahorse and he can order in a lot of wilds so that's what ill be doing soon once i get a rack made. But id still like to chat to other keepers and see their tips and tricks and how they keep them.

@ger310 Ill get a post going shortly with pictures of fry included

Thanks Eric
Last edit: 12 May 2014 16:29 by Eric (Eric Corcoran).

More
12 May 2014 18:27 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I love the coccina complex..........but then I love all of the Bettas anyway.
Yeah...some are pretty boring and hide way too much, but some species are "there".

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
25 May 2014 20:38 #8 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Every couple of weeks a few new fry appear in the tank and with no film canister or nest under the floating leaves i wondered where he had his built. I heard they build nests completley submerged so when i saw him swim under some bogwood i took a look and found his nest. 1st time i saw 1 like this and looks really cool. Just above the sand hanging off the wood. Here's some quick pics i got

Eric
Attachments:

More
25 May 2014 20:52 #9 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Nice one.
You must be putting some blue pills in the water when you do your water changes :laugh:

Anthony

More
25 May 2014 20:57 #10 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)

Nice one.
You must be putting some blue pills in the water when you do your water changes :laugh:

Anthony

Ha Ha just cool rain water :laugh: :laugh:

Eric

More
27 May 2014 12:58 #11 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Wild Bettas
Looks great Eric.........What kind of low PH are they breeding in? and had you any success in an anyway higher PH?

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
27 May 2014 18:12 #12 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Thanks Ger . At the moment the tank is running at 6 pH and they seem to be very happy with it. Ive read that they need a lower pH like 4 to breed but they're breeding regular for me. If nothing is happening with them a small water change with cool rain water triggers them as well.
Also ive never tried them at higher pH

Eric

More
27 May 2014 18:34 #13 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The B.coccinia complex will generally breed at just under pH 7.

I do find that the unimaculata complex and albimarginata complex tend to demand much lower pH to breed......but even at low pH those Betta complexes can be tough anyway.

ian

More
27 May 2014 20:32 #14 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
There becoming prolific little breeders. If i was to remove every nest id be over run with fry. I dont have any experience with the unimaculata complex or the albimarginata complex but who knows in the future. At the moment im only keeping different types of betta in my fishroom and have only recently picked up a pair of wild B.Pugnax. The 1st mouthbrooders ive owned

Eric

More
27 May 2014 23:15 #15 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Some Bettas can be well and truly costly, whereas some can be as little as about fiver a pair.

Superb fish.

ian

More
28 May 2014 01:00 #16 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Wild Bettas
realy nice fish love the shape and colour i might look into keeping some

More
06 Jun 2014 20:35 #17 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
A couple of pictures of some fry from the above fish. 10 weeks old

Also picked up a pair of wild B. Pugnax a couple of weeks back. Here's a couple of pictures of the female

Eric
Attachments:

More
06 Jun 2014 23:36 #18 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
cool stuff.

keep posting

More
27 Oct 2014 17:33 - 27 Oct 2014 17:35 #19 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Hey all ,
Just wanted to show my 3 wilds tanks.

Brownorum tank. These bred recently. I removed 6 to grow on and left around 15 in the tank to grow with the parents. The female will pick off some of them. She doesn't let the tank get over crowded

Persephone tank. I ended up with 2 females so John gave me the 2 that were left to try get a pair so im hoping i replaced a female with a male

Pugnax tank. These breed every couple of weeks but the male never holds the eggs for more than a day or 2. Ive removed the female a couple of times but still no luck getting fry

You'll notice they're more or less the same set-ups wood , sand , leaves and floating plants

Eric
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Oct 2014 17:35 by Eric (Eric Corcoran).

More
27 Oct 2014 18:01 #20 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Nice tanks Eric.
I think you need a few more, the coop have sheving units on sale :evil: :evil:
The water in the first one look much darker, do you use peat in it ?

Anthony

More
27 Oct 2014 20:20 #21 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
No more tanks for the time being :( No i dont use peat just leaves. I recently changed the bulb in that tank so that might be why. The bulb in the Persephone tank is a horrible blueish one and i cant get a replacement anywhere for it

Eric

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds