Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Betta Persephone

More
17 Aug 2014 20:31 #1 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Hey all ,
I ordered these fish from seahorse a couple of months back and am over the moon that they finally got them. B. Persephone are from the coccina complex and closley related to the B. brownorum i keep. I have the pair in a 30 liter tank with the usual bogwood , leaves and alder cones with floating plants. I'm heading away on holidays for a week in 3 weeks time so once i get back im going to see if i can breed them.

Eric
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2014 23:26 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
A lovely little fish that you don't see enough of in the hobby.
Good luck with new breeding project.

More
18 Aug 2014 17:45 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Yep.
There needs to be more of the various Betta species in the hobby in Ireland.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
18 Aug 2014 19:30 - 18 Aug 2014 19:30 #4 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Couldn't agree more with the 2 of ye. Who knows maybe the more we post about them the more people might want to keep them

Eric
Last edit: 18 Aug 2014 19:30 by Eric (Eric Corcoran).

More
18 Aug 2014 19:58 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I have been trying for decades to push the popularity of Bettas, but I've only been in Ireland for 16 years and find it pretty hard over here.

I must admit, though, that I spend a lot of time on Facebook answering questioins on PM on Siamese Fighters and the genetics of them

ian

More
18 Aug 2014 20:15 #6 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Keep doing the good work Eric !
I used to to think wild bettas were reserved to an elite of fish keepers, but by reading your threads on them i m starting to think it is possible to keep them.
Are you planning on on getting a pair of macrostoma ?

Anthony

More
18 Aug 2014 20:25 #7 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I'm sure there is plenty of people keeping fighters around the place. Its a pity they don't post about them. Maybe they dont want to who knows. Showing fighters is becoming bigger every year in main land Europe with up to 10 large shows happening every year. Something im thinking of trying next year is to get to at least 1 betta show.

Regarding other species of betta i dont think a lot people know much about the wild side which is a pity because they're missing out on some great fish

Eric

More
18 Aug 2014 20:29 - 18 Aug 2014 20:30 #8 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)

Keep doing the good work Eric !
I used to to think wild bettas were reserved to an elite of fish keepers, but by reading your threads on them i m starting to think it is possible to keep them.
Are you planning on on getting a pair of macrostoma ?

Anthony

I'm far from an eilte fishkeeper and I dont find them any more difficult than any other fish. I just keep them in their own tank. I never mix them with other fish but thats just me.
I'm working up to macrostoma but ill invest i a larger tank 1st if i do decide to get a pair

Eric
Last edit: 18 Aug 2014 20:30 by Eric (Eric Corcoran).

More
18 Aug 2014 20:51 #9 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Betta Persephone
Thanks to Eric, I own 6 brownorum and bought a pair of Persephone too so wish me luck!

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
18 Aug 2014 20:56 #10 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Betta Persephone
And then there's THIS!

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
18 Aug 2014 21:13 #11 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic Betta Persephone
Kev, that video is amazing. Wow I'm very intrigued now!

Marino, Dublin 9

More
18 Aug 2014 21:54 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
That's one of the better videos I've seen of macrostoma Kev.

ian

More
18 Aug 2014 22:18 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Beautiful video and beautiful fish. If it wasn't for the fish moving in the background, you'd think it was being played back in slow motion.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
17 Jan 2015 13:18 #14 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Some better pictures of these smashing fish. These fish have bred a good few times but cant seem to get fry. Ive removed the eggs about 4 times but each time they failed to hatch. I'm going to leave the parents with the next batch and see what happens.

Male

Male in his canister

Male

Female

Eric
Attachments:

More
17 Jan 2015 14:32 #15 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Waow, the fins colours are amazing :woohoo:.

Anthony

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds